PDA

View Full Version : Avocado: Why only half? =/

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Why are we only supposed to eat HALF an avocado a day? I confess to never following this rule... but if I knew WHY, I could definitely be persuaded!

P.s. The reason I tend to not follow this rule (aside from the fact that they're delicious) is fear of browning avocado flesh. Avocados are somewhat pricey, and I'd hate to have half of one go to waste!

CorrineH
01-17-2012, 02:04 AM
I don't know...perhaps it's the fat content and they don't want a calorie bomb? Or maybe it's the carb count. I don't like avocados so I don't know the nutrition info.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 02:07 AM
I don't know...perhaps it's the fat content and they don't want a calorie bomb? Or maybe it's the carb count. I don't like avocados so I don't know the nutrition info.

The calories are kind of high, but the net carbs aren't bad at all. And Atkins is a "high fat diet". So yeah, it's really puzzling to me...

greensleeves
01-17-2012, 02:16 AM
The calories are kind of high, but the net carbs aren't bad at all. And Atkins is a "high fat diet". So yeah, it's really puzzling to me...

Yup, it's the calorie bomb. Hard to get everything in there with a max of 1800 calories. I actually prefer to eat about 1650 - just don't have room for the whole luscious avocado.

GrammaLois
01-17-2012, 02:23 AM
1500-1800 is a recommendation, not a minimum-maximum. Through the week I can go anywhere from 1250-2200 depending on activities and how hungry I am.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Yup, it's the calorie bomb. Hard to get everything in there with a max of 1800 calories. I actually prefer to eat about 1650 - just don't have room for the whole luscious avocado.

But... aren't ALL fats "calorie bombs"?!

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 02:31 AM
1500-1800 is a recommendation, not a minimum-maximum. Through the week I can go anywhere from 1250-2200 depending on activities and how hungry I am.

Do you know why we're only supposed to eat half the avocado?

Betsyp
01-17-2012, 02:33 AM
I'm not totally sure of the reason, besides the fact that that's what Dr. Atkins said. I would imagine it's carbs more than anything as he wasn't terribly concerned about counting calories.

One way to preserve the other avocado half is to leave the pit in it. I do that, and put it in a leftover container in the fridge. Next day, I just slice off the brown layer and it's usually fine.

GrammaLois
01-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Sorry, I don't. I don't like them, but I'll ask around and get them to post here okay?

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Sorry, I don't. I don't like them, but I'll ask around and get them to post here okay?

Thanks Lois! It's SO much easier to not eat as much of something we love if there's a good reason!

greensleeves
01-17-2012, 02:40 AM

No. While everyone has a calorie level that works for them, you can't eat 6,000 calories a day on this WOE unless you're Lance Armstrong. :) We don't deny that calories count - it's just that they are a secondary factor for us. But that's not an excuse for magical thinking, right? You can go to some websites and find those who believe that since "calories don't count," they can in fact eat 6,000 calories a day - all the meat, all the sweet potatoes, all the "sugar-free" goodies they want.

But guess what the results are? :( After a couple of months they post about how much weight they've gained and act all mystified about it. :p

Look, if you have the calorie room for an entire avocado, go for it. But the general guidelines are written for a mass audience, and most of us don't have that kinda calorie space. I don't, but ymmv.

GrammaLois
01-17-2012, 02:41 AM
One avocado is 277 calories....less than a 250 gram steak. Can't imagine it's the calories but I could be wrong.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 02:46 AM
Look, if you have the calorie room for an entire avocado, go for it. But the general guidelines are written for a mass audience, and most of us don't have that kinda calorie space. I don't, but ymmv.

I agree that calories definitely count, but avocados aren't *that* calorie dense.

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 02:47 AM
I agree with what greensleeves said. It's a calorie bomb, but if you can accommodate it, it's OK. A steak may have more calories but it has more protein than avocado as well.

BlueEyes2
01-17-2012, 02:48 AM
1/2 avacado fruit is listed as "1 serving." That's a serving portion.

I don't see why one can't have 2 servings per day. Where in NANY is it limited? I don't see it.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 02:48 AM
One avocado is 277 calories....less than a 250 gram steak. Can't imagine it's the calories but I could be wrong.

I really don't think it's the calories... or at least, not ONLY because of the calories. If that were the case, there are a lot of other foods that are capable of doing more damage! lol

FormerMember
01-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Onthemend,

I have an avocado saver and it is worth picking up! I've eaten a whole one in a day. Great for fibre, fat, potassium etc.

http://controlledcarbandglutenfree.wordpress.com/kitchen-gadgets-etc/

GrammaLois
01-17-2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks Liz. I couldn't find anything in the book or anywhere as to why. As you know, they aren't my idea of heaven! :)

BlueEyes2
01-17-2012, 02:57 AM
I'd still like the page number where it says they are limited.

In an unrelated matter I did see on p. 87 where we are to measure vegetables after cooking.
That question came up in some other thread that I'll never find again, but thought I'd mention it.

0nthemend
1/2 avacado fruit is listed as "1 serving." That's a serving portion.

I don't see why one can't have 2 servings per day. Where in NANY is it limited? I don't see it.

Ack! I can't find it on the new list either! I swear I'm not crazy, but when I printed the acceptable foods list two months ago, it said to limit avocado consumption to only half a day =/

Sorry guys!

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
Here's what Atkins co-author Stephen Phinney said in a discussion in the Orlando Sentinal last spring:

Steve Phinney: In my under-50 gram-per-day diet, I give myself 4 oz of 'berry fruit' daily. This includes strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, avocado, tomato, and olives (and sometimes cantaloupe).
He goes on to say:
Steve Phinney: My definition of berry fruit is any fruit with less than 10% carbs by weight

1/2 avocado for me is usually 60-75 grams, depending on the size which is roughly 2-2.5 oz. If you're carb intolerant like Stephen Phinney you might want to similarly limit all your berry like foods. However, if you can tolerate more avocado, fat wise and carb wise, why not? It's a very healthy food overall.

Here's a link to the whole article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-health-chat-understanding-counting-carbs,0,7376232.htmlstory

BlueEyes2
01-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Well now that does raise a question. In NANY on p. 86 1/2 Haas avacado is listed as having 1.8 net carbs. Are they citing total carbs? <gasp> Y'know, those things that many of us have to watch as well?

Labhrain

Well, all fats have about 9 kcals per gram, so there isn't much difference that way.

I recall Colette addressing the 1/2 an avocado issue once to someone who was in induction. She stated that 1/2 was the recommended limit to help keep carbs down, since carbs are so limited on induction. Other than that, she didn't mention any reasons for the recommendations.

Edit to add:
I see that Liz has pretty much stated the same, with a reference from Phinney.

0nthemend
Here's what Atkins co-author Stephen Phinney said in a discussion in the Orlando Sentinal last spring:
If you're carb intolerant like Stephen Phinney you might want to similarly limit all your berry like foods. However, if you can tolerate more avocado, fat wise and carb wise, why not? It's a very healthy food overall.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-health-chat-understanding-counting-carbs,0,7376232.htmlstory

THIS is the answer I was searching for! Thanks Liz!

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 03:02 AM

In an unrelated matter I did see on p. 87 where we are to measure vegetables after cooking.
That question came up in some other thread that I'll never find again, but thought I'd mention it.

Yes, I've seen that in the book, and I've seen it on the thread - it's Jacq's sticky of words of wisdom. I'm also sure I've seen it here from Colette to weigh raw. However, I'm losing my faith in remembering what I've read as I get older - especially hotly-debated issues. It may just be that with the food trackers that it is more difficult to get a true reading of cooked foods because it's hard to know what they're adding. My honest feeling is that either weigh raw or cooked, and stick to one method. I suspect they both work fine as long as unknown ingredients are not added.

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Well now that does raise a question. In NANY on p. 86 1/2 Haas avacado is listed as having 1.8 net carbs. Are they citing total carbs? <gasp> Y'know, those things that many of us have to watch as well?

Avocados have even more fiber than net carbs. They are a total total carb bomb. I accommodate 1/3 of an avocado each day, but it ain't easy. That's how much I love them.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:04 AM
I recall Colette addressing the 1/2 an avocado issue once to someone who was in induction. She stated that 1/2 was the recommended limit to help keep carbs down, since carbs are so limited on induction. Other than that, she didn't mention any reasons for the recommendations.

Edit to add:
I see that Liz has pretty much stated the same, with a reference from Phinney. That makes sense! The list I printed two months ago was geared towards induction folk! Thanks a bunch!

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:07 AM
Avocados have even more fiber than net carbs.

Ahhh! I never even considered total carbs! lol!

GrammaLois
Well hopefully Colette will see the thread and chime in on both questions.

noodletoy
for months, the only haas avocados in my stores have been TINY. an entire fruit is around 60 gms. that's less than 1/2 the size the usda considers a whole avocado! so, yeah, i've been eating the whole thing.

i think this is a weather/harvest issue. i know they used to be much bigger.

much like not overdoing anything else, i think the rec for just having 1/2 per day was for moderation purposes only. ymmv.

BlueEyes2
01-17-2012, 03:08 AM
Avocados have even more fiber than net carbs. They are a total total carb bomb. I accommodate 1/3 of an avocado each day, but it ain't easy. That's how much I love them.

Which gets back to the fact that total carbs DO matter. :o

GrammaLois
01-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Well dang!! I never looked at the total carbs either! <smacks hand on forehead>

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm just seeing bigger avocados the last week or so, Noodle, and even then, they're still moderate, not huge. They'll be making their way north in time, I imagine. The ones I've bought recently have had 130-150 grams of flesh.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Which gets back to the fact that total carbs DO matter. :o Great... I'm such a n00b =(

BlueEyes2
01-17-2012, 03:13 AM
So what's the difference between Haas and Florida avacados? I bought both today.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Well dang!! I never looked at the total carbs either! <smacks hand on forehead>

You and me BOTH! <smacks hand on forehead as well>

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
Great... I'm such a n00b =(

No, you're probably just younger and can tolerate more carbs. When you get peri and post menopausal, all bets are off!

GrammaLois
Great... I'm such a n00b =(

Don't feel bad......I didn't catch it either.

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 03:15 AM
So what's the difference between Haas and Florida avacados? I bought both today.

Florida has less fat. Not sure about carb content.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:15 AM

Being from California, I've never seen a Florida avocado, but I'm told they're smooth and have green skin. I *think* they're sweeter as well...

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 03:17 AM
Even though the book recommends Hass, Colette has given the OK on Florida as well - just count carbs differently.

BlueEyes2
01-17-2012, 03:21 AM
Florida has less fat. Not sure about carb content.

Probably higher than Haas.

Being from California, I've never seen a Florida avocado, but I'm told they're smooth and have green skin. I *think* they're sweeter as well...

Sweeter = Higher Carbs

Swell. I finally buy some and will end up having a teaspoon size scoop to stay within my carb limits.

Can one freeze guacamole? :confused:

Betsyp
01-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Ack! I can't find it on the new list either! I swear I'm not crazy, but when I printed the acceptable foods list two months ago, it said to limit avocado consumption to only half a day =/

Sorry guys!

Onthemend, you probably did see it in an earlier incarnation of the online Induction instructions. But, I don't see it now, and I also don't see it in NANY. However, if you have a copy of DANDR (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution), Chapter 11, page 112 (which may be different, depending on whether you have paperback or hardcover), there is a section called "Special Category Foods" and I quote:

"To add variety, each day you can also eat ten to twenty olives, have a small avocado, one ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetned heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juce or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods."

My emphasis added (in bold).

I believe this is where it came from, and in NANY, avocadoes and the other items mentioned have just been incorporated into the general lists.

noodletoy
01-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Can one freeze guacamole? :confused:
yes, you can, as long as it has enough citrus juice, it won't oxidize and turn brown.

the florida ones tend to be more watery and less flavorful. inferior, imho.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:32 AM
But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods."

My emphasis added (in bold).

I believe this is where it came from, and in NANY, avocadoes and the other items mentioned have just been incorporated into the general lists.

Thanks Betsy!
I printed the list two months ago (before the massive renovation).

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:36 AM
The florida ones tend to be more watery and less flavorful. inferior, imho.

That's because they're missing FAT! Is there anything fat can't do?!?

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 03:36 AM
I had 65 g of hass avocado at lunch today: 10.02 fat, 5.62 total carbs, 4.4 g fiber, 1.22 net carb and 109 calories.

65 g florida avocado would have:6.54 g fat; 5.08 total carbs; 3.6 g fiber; 1.48 net and 78 calories.

So the florida has less fat AND fewer carbs. Protein is less than a gram difference. Maybe the florida has higher water content?

PS noodle posted while I was typing - I see the higher water content. it all makes sense. mystery solved?

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:40 AM
I had 65 g of hass avocado at lunch today: 10.02 fat, 5.62 total carbs, 4.4 g fiber, 1.22 net carb and 109 calories.

65 g florida avocado would have:6.54 g fat; 5.08 total carbs; 3.6 g fiber; 1.48 net and 78 calories.

So the florida has less fat AND fewer carbs. Protein is less than a gram difference. Maybe the florida has higher water content?

It looks like they have more NET carbs though...

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Ah, true. Slightly more, and lots less fiber. Would that be enough to make florida taste sweeter? I don't know. I'd love to do a side by side comparison.

0nthemend
01-17-2012, 03:55 AM
Ah, true. Slightly more, and lots less fiber. Would that be enough to make florida taste sweeter? I don't know. I'd love to do a side by side comparison.

Now that's my kind of science!!! =)

Inquiet
01-17-2012, 04:26 AM
The Florida avocado isn't on the list of foundation vegetables.

Don't be concerned about the cut edge of your avocado turning brown. There is nothing wrong with it. If you don't want to look at the brown edge then just turn it over.

NANY doesn't limit avocados or olives. Earlier Atkins books did. 2008 Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution:
"SPECIAL CATEGORY FOODS. To add variety, each day you can also eat ten to twenty olives, half a small avocado, one ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods."

sweet_x_catastrophe
01-17-2012, 05:12 AM
I found tiny avocados that are no bigger than the size of my palm, and heck yes I've been eating those whole! I have a tough time leaving a half in the fridge, and I fit a whole one into my counts if I can. I'd rather have an extra half an avocado with some salt on it than my 10-20 olives :)

linnai
01-17-2012, 07:48 AM
I have been eating a full one a day for over a year now. I love them! Some mayo n black pepper im good to go.

NanaB63
01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
I did not even know we were limited to one half. I'm reading the book now but have not got to that and I don't recall it on the list I printed out on this site. I thought a veggie carb was a veggie carb.

NanaB63
01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
I hadn't read all the posts when I posted. It's early in Texas and don't have enough coffee down yet.:D
Perhaps this would explain my SLOW weight loss. I have eaten avocados about every day, yesterday ended my two weeks and I lost 0.5. I guess I'll try less avocado this time around and see if that helps.

Isedaae
01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Nana... I'm down by 5 but sometimes, I am having caffienne and a glass a spirits after work. These both stop the ketosis as well.Good Luck!

NanaB63
01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks Shijo Queen, I am going to keep on keeping on. I know it works from reading all the posts. I just need to figure out what works for me. Congrats on your loss and Good Luck to you too!!

Jacq
01-17-2012, 11:21 AM

I found that as well BlueEyes. It is actually listed with the acceptable food list in DANDR and NANY. I guess I ignored that part! lol I think it may be a simplicity thing - the veggies that are typically eaten cooked are listed with the cooked net carb count. I still measure raw & use raw counts.

I have found a lot of the net carbs in NANY are not equal to the USDA counts......I'm not sure which would be more accurate but I use the USDA.

The Avocados here are super tiny as well. I only have apx 1 per week, and usually share with my hubby.

:D

FormerMember
01-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I usually get 55-70g out of an avocado half.

Jacq Pete regularly has them on for 0.99 cents each whereas SS and Sobeys 1.79-1.89 each and on occasion 1.99 each. Something to check out when you're up this way.

I buy them really green, ripen on counter and place in Debbie Meyer's green bags in fridge. Once I put the ones on the counter in fridge I buy a couple more so I never run out of ripe ones and the bags keep them longer.

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
The size of avocados can vary greatly. It suppose it would be helpful to define how big 1/2 an avocado is. However, like everything else, it all comes down to what your body and carb level can tolerate.

Jacq
01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I just paid $1.99 yesterday at Sobeys for one that isn't much bigger than a plum tomato! :mad:

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
We used to grow a lot of avocados in Texas - not sure we still do, most of ours now seem to come from California or Mexico. Back in the day, we could routinely get avocados 3/$1 and occasionally in the spring, smaller ones for 10/$1. Those days are long gone, I'm afraid.

FormerMember
01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
I am lucky with where I live. Pete's is a ten minute walk. I go there then stop in a Sobeys on the way home. Drop off and two minutes down the hill is Superstore. I check flyer prices prior to going as well. Pete's veggies and fruits are often cheaper. Perhaps loss leaders?

Sobeys is usually the worst place price wise to buy them. I buy Organic Meadow yogurt and sales dropped so SS dropped their price to 4.39 and a two minute walk up the street Sobeys is still selling at 5.29 I believe. I have even mentioned it.

FormerMember
01-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Jacq you've got excuses for the hubbie as to why you have to come to Halifax more!

Jacq
01-17-2012, 02:23 PM
lol Lisa, He has given up asking "why". He knows I'm a roadrunner. Actually I just messaged a few friends to see if I can convince one of them to do a quick trip to Bangor this weekend lol. I need some retail therapy!

I Lov Pete's!!! Haven't been to his winery in the valley yet - but I am sure I would love that too!

BlueEyes2
01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
The size of avocados can vary greatly. It suppose it would be helpful to define how big 1/2 an avocado is. However, like everything else, it all comes down to what your body and carb level can tolerate.

Well, I wish I could give away the dang things. I've got four tiny ones and one good sized Florida one that I just bought yesterday. What a waste.

FormerMember
01-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I need some retail therapy!

Ah retail therapy is great eh!

Tikib
01-17-2012, 02:46 PM
If you have access to a COSTCO, they have nice big avocados. I didn't check the price last time. They are usually $1 to $1.50 each. You get 5 in a net bag.

I think since avocados, tomatoes and olives are all fruits ~ they tend to have higher carb counts.

GrandmaaDeb
01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
In maintenance I typically have three avocados a day, one with each meal. They run from 3 oz to 6 oz each serving. Had to give up MIMs though to keep the carb count low. I'm in California too, so Haas are the kind I always get, don't like other varieties.

FormerMember
01-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Great photo GrandmaaDeb!

glh80
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM

I'm so happy to "hear" you say that. I sometimes go well above 1800 calories into the 2000s. I was a bit worried.

GrandmaaDeb
01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks Lisa.
I ususally stay around 1800 calories even with all those avocados.

Inquiet
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
How big? I decided, based on Dr. Phinney's statements, that two ounces of avocado a day would fit for me. That's what I keep it to. Usually half a small-to-medium avocado will come in between 1.9 to 2.2 ounces.

kari110
01-17-2012, 04:47 PM
I've seen mention of eating 1/2 an avocado all over the place but I've never seen that it is limited to that. As long as you have the room in your carbs and your calories I see no reason to limit it. I often eat an entire avocado per day (1/2 at lunch and the other 1/2 at dinner) and I'm still losing just fine. I don't care for avocados that much, but can tolerate them in salads, but I eat them a lot because the potassium helps keep the leg cramps away.

kari110
01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
I just found a section in the NANY (page 72 of my e-book so not sure if that's the same page in the hard copy, but in chapter 5 about Fats) that says "Savor, Don't Smother". Here's the paragraph:

It's essential that you eat enough natural fats to provide satiety, the satisfying sense of fullness, keep your fat metabolism humming along, and make foods tasty. But that doesn't mean you should eat so much that you wind up with a calorie bomb. For most of us on Atkins, our natural appetite response gives us good guidance as to how much fat to eat. But here are some tips. use enough oil when saute-ing food to keep it from sticking to the pan. Use about a tablespoon of oil (plus lemon juice or vinegar) to dress a small salad. These are general guidelines. Petite women may need less, and tall men may be able to handle more. Feel free to swap out one fat source for another. For example, if you don't use cream in your coffee, you can have a bit more cheese. IF you have two salads a day and need more olive oil for dressing, forgo a pat of butter. You get the picture. A typical day's intake of fat might include the following:
2 tablespoons oil for dressing salads and cooking
1 tablespoon butter
1 ounce cream
2 ounces cheese
2-3 eggs
2-3 servings of meat, poultry, fish or shellfish
10 olives and/or 1/2 Haas avocado
2 ounces nuts or seeds (after 2 week induction)

So as long as you can fit it in, have it! It's not a hard rule to limit.

FormerMember
01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
I find avocado rich and satisfying. I've not had an issue with them but every food is individual.

SeekUp_Grasshopper
01-17-2012, 05:28 PM
I leave the pit on and store it in a container in the fridge as Betsy has suggested. Works great, especially for just overnight.

Betsyp
01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
I just found a section in the NANY (page 72 of my e-book so not sure if that's the same page in the hard copy, but in chapter 5 about Fats) that says "Savor, Don't Smother". Here's the paragraph:

It's essential that you eat enough natural fats to provide satiety, the satisfying sense of fullness, keep your fat metabolism humming along, and make foods tasty. But that doesn't mean you should eat so much that you wind up with a calorie bomb. For most of us on Atkins, our natural appetite response gives us good guidance as to how much fat to eat. But here are some tips. use enough oil when saute-ing food to keep it from sticking to the pan. Use about a tablespoon of oil (plus lemon juice or vinegar) to dress a small salad. These are general guidelines. Petite women may need less, and tall men may be able to handle more. Feel free to swap out one fat source for another. For example, if you don't use cream in your coffee, you can have a bit more cheese. IF you have two salads a day and need more olive oil for dressing, forgo a pat of butter. You get the picture. A typical day's intake of fat might include the following:
2 tablespoons oil for dressing salads and cooking
1 tablespoon butter
1 ounce cream
2 ounces cheese
2-3 eggs
2-3 servings of meat, poultry, fish or shellfish
10 olives and/or 1/2 Haas avocado
2 ounces nuts or seeds (after 2 week induction)

So as long as you can fit it in, have it! It's not a hard rule to limit.

Kari, thanks for posting that quote! I didn't think to look in that chapter.

We have lovely rather large Haas avocadoes at our Wal-Mart, which are anywhere between $1.29 to $1.79 per avocado. They are consistently good! You know, I've actually never thought to weigh the avocadoes, but probably should. I imagine you all weigh it without the peel, right? I think that weighs a bit.

I usually feed my husband one half for breakfast and save the other half for my lunch salad. Haven't noticed they stall me, but if so, I guess I'd cut down to a 1/3 or 1/4.

Inquiet
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I was taught many, many years ago at Weight Watchers to weigh only what you are going to eat. And, the usda numbers on avocados are based on fruit with the skin and pit removed. I cut the fruit in half, wrap up the half that still has the pit, remove the flesh from the skin, and then weigh the part I'm going to eat. If the avocado looks big to me then I just cut out a third.

Avocados will not be harvested in California until sometime in February. The ones in our (Southern Calif.) stores right now are small and are imported from Mexico and Chile. They are running about 88 cents to $1 each.