PDA

View Full Version : Sucralose and Artificial Flavors in Mutlivitamins and Supplements

Operator7
05-01-2012, 07:52 AM
What is the low-down on sucarlose and artificial flavors in multivitamins and supplements? In my search for the perfect multivitamin, I've found that most of them contain sucralose. The only one that I did find that did not contain it was an all natural multi, but it contained Iron. Thoughts? I mean, is it okay to consume that sucralose? I was under the impression that that was an artificial sweetner we were not allowed to have.

Also, what's up with artificial flavors? Are we allowed to consume supplement products that contain that?

Thanks!

0Angel0
05-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Sucralose is actually the sweetener Dr. Atkins recommended. I've never heard of a multi vitamin having it though. Wonder why it'd be in there.

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Are these chewable vitamins with sweetener? I don't see why they would contain the sweetener or flavours if they're just being swallowed.

But yes as Angel said it's fine.

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
This is the multi (http://well.ca/products/quest-premium-multi-cap-iron-free_20675.html) I take. Click on image to expand. I buy it in the health food section at the grocery store.

This product contains no artificial preservatives, colours, flavours, or added sugar, starch, milk products, yeast, gluten, or salt.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
I walked around a GNC store with a clerk, and every bottle we picked up except for maybe 2 had sucralose in it. I imagine it must be used to package or preserve them somehow?

The thing is, would it count against my three limit serving per day? I just don't know if I want to waste that on a vitamin that has no taste. And I kind of want to cut that out as much as possible anyway.

I thought I had read somewhere on the site that sucralose, maltodextrin, and something else were no-nos. I just feel irksome about buying a whey protein with sucralose and artificial flavors in it. Even though it looks like it's fine, I feel like it's a risk. I'm just sacrificing too many other things to get all willy nilly all of the sudden, you know? I've been on the diet for a year and lost around 20 lbs (I don't weigh, so I don't know exactly), but I"ve got a show coming up, and I want to lose another size before my fitting if I can help it. So that's why I'm being so particular :-/

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 08:25 AM
I use Genuine Health's Proteins+ vanilla.

It's a alpha+™ whey protein isolate, proteins+ provides the purest, absorbable source of protein with digestion enzymes and is sweetened with stevia.

Note: proteins+ contains no artificial colours, flavours, sweeteners or preservatives, corn, egg, wheat, gluten, soy or yeast.

http://www.genuinehealth.com/proteins.html

It is available on Amazon and has a money back guarantee. I buy it in the health food section at the grocery store.

http://www.amazon.com/Proteins-Vanilla-840-g-Powder/dp/B002B08EOQ

The three sweetener a day isn't a rule but rather a guideline and no you don't have to use it towards the vitamins.

Colette our nutritionist talks about it here: http://boards.atkins.com/showthread.php?85801-For-Colette-Sweeteners&highlight=colette+sweetener+rule

You can have sucralose and maltodextrin but it is best focusing on whole foods as much as possible.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Great source article, PattyCake. Thank you very much. What I take away from it is, artificial sweetners won't interfere with ketosis, but any amount MAY stall weight loss depending on the individual. Atkins considers 3 servings to be a moderate, basic guideline for sweetners.

In that case, I'm going to try to limit my intake as much as possible this month since I've got my costume fitting coming up in several weeks (which is unfortunate b/c I just bought a bunch of bars and shakes... Oh well). My main intake of artificial sweetners has been bars, shakes, and MIO flavoring for my fiber, BCAA, and whey protein shakes.

Slightly off topic, shot in the dark, and I'm going to post a separate thread probably, BUT - does anyone know of any flavoring for water that does NOT have artificial sweetner in it?

Operator7
05-01-2012, 03:57 PM
And that Protiens+ looks really great. The vanilla is natural flavoring - no sweetner! Brilliant! I'm going to call around to my local grocery stores and try to pick one up before my rehearsal tonight.

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 04:00 PM
My pleasure Operator7. The sweeteners can cause cravings and stimulate appetite in some. Others have no issue. The 3 sweeteners a day is a guideline not a rule. More here: http://boards.atkins.com/showthread.php?85801-For-Colette-Sweeteners&highlight=colette+sweetener+rule

I think limiting intake of them to as little as possible is best but that is just my opinon.

I don't know of any flavours for water. Have you tried fresh lemon slices? The more you drink plain water the better it tastes especially if staying away from sodas etc.

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I find it a little sweet but I add cacao to it and other things like unsweetened coconut milk which mellows it.

It is a high quality protein though and certified gluten free. They also have unsweetened and chocolate.

mizski
05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
I haven't been able to find any multivitamins with sucralose or artificial flavors other than some chewables or gummy bear types. I'm in the U.S. though. Is this common in other countries? I've never heard this mentioned on any of my other boards. Many people take Centrum Silver or generic version. I still take the Atkins Basic 3 clone from Vitacost. It is the easiest way for me to get all the nutrients recommended by Dr Atkins in DANDR & his Vita Nutrients book. Now that I'm in Maintenance, I only take 1 or 2/day.

Re water flavoring: Last summer I tried the Capella Flavlet for Water in several different flavors. They do not contain artificial sweeteners & come in tiny plastic dropper bottles. Very convenient & easy to carry in purse or pocket. You add a few drops to a glass or bottle of water. I bought them from netrition.com. I prefer various homemade spa waters though & get a lot of my recipes from the Cool Waters book.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh, I love water! But I need the flavoring for my fiber, BCAA, and whey protein drinks as they are flavorless and somewhat...unpleasant-tasting otherwise. But. Maybe that will be the one thing that I do use sweetner for. I hate to use it at all, but. You know.

I'm trying to see if I can find this protein at a grocery store or Target or Walmart, but I'm not having success :-/ I could order it, but I kind of need it asap-ish. I guess I could call around?

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't think Target or Walmart will have it. Can you buy it online? Direct from Genuine Health or Amazon?

Oops missed the I could order it.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Mizski - thank you very much. Though it contains some stevia, that's still better than the MIO. I wonder if it would be in a health store. Have you ever seen it in a health store?

No, I live in the U.S.. I wondered if it was just the GNC products, but it's also in my Centrum multi that I have right now. It must be a negligent amount, but there's enough that they list it :-/

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Operator call your health food stores or higher end grocery stores. They may sell it.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I'm going to try that. Unfortunately I only have an hour at lunch to get everything done. Whew. I've got enough shakes to get me by until I figure this out, though.

So are artifical flavors and ingredients in these supplements BAD for us? Do they interfere with ketosis and weight loss?

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Not typically but anything we put in our body real or artifical can impact someone. Everyone is different. Do the best you can until you can get what you need.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I just don't want to buy something if I know upfront that it's got stuff in it that is bad for us. That sort of thing :-/

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Okay I did a little test with 90210 so put your zip in where it says postal code and it will give you store locations where you are:

http://www.genuinehealth.com/locator/?s=-1&p=90210

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Unfortunately no one can tell you how something will affect you. We can only say how it affects us.

That protein powder comes with a money back guarantee. It is on the label of the product. Keep your receipt if you don't like it so you can return it to the store if you are dissatisfied.

mizski
05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Mizski - thank you very much. Though it contains some stevia, that's still better than the MIO. I wonder if it would be in a health store. Have you ever seen it in a health store?

Both Capella Flavor Drops & the Water Flavlets are online products sold by many online vendors or directly from Capella. The flavor drops might be an option for flavoring your fiber & protein drinks.

http://capellaflavordrops.com/

No, I live in the U.S.. I wondered if it was just the GNC products, but it's also in my Centrum multi that I have right now. It must be a negligent amount, but there's enough that they list it :-/

Your Centrum Silver contains sucralose? I'm looking at the bottle right now & I don't see it.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 07:17 PM
It's better safe than sorry! And I've found that with these whey proteins at other stores, almost all of them contain milk. So I think that your protein preference is going to be the way to go. Thank you for the link! I found a store near me. Just gotta find the time to get there... I'm so excited! I was having the worst time finding a protein drink. Thank you!!

Operator7
05-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Mizski - No, not the Silver, actually. It's for Women. Mine has iron in it. I didn't realize it when I bought it :-/

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Whey is from dairy. Can you still have it?

Operator7
05-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I figured since it listed that it contained Milk that it probably wasn't kosher with the Atkins plan. Am I wrong?

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I was just thinking of intolerance/allergy. Some of the Atkins shakes have milk I believe and they're okay too.

I know the one I recommended is okay.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Oh okay. I gotcha. Nah, dude, I'm totally going to go with the Genuine Health. Now all I have to do is track down a multi! LOL. I'm going to see if The Vitamin shop has the multi you mentioned as well.

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
It's Canadian but I believe available in the US. Natural Factors is another good brand that is CDN but available in the US. It is typically sold at health food stores. They don't allow it to be sold in the grocery store not even the health food section in Canada. Another good one is NOW FOODs brand.

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
If you find something and want I can check it out before you buy it. Just PM me.

Operator7
05-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry, what does PM mean?

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
private message

At the top of the page if you go to My Profile then Messages you can send private messages out.

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 08:21 PM
It doesn't let you know when you have messages so you have to check. I just save a link to it for faster access.

FormerMember
05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I found this:

Genuine Health's proteins+ is a premium, 100% alpha™ w hey protein isolate and thus yields more protein per gram than almost every other protein supplement on the market. It is the purest, most absorbable source of protein with digestion enzymes, and no artificial ingredients.

• Includes the highest concentration of naturally occurring alpha-lactalbumin (AL), (23%) and glycomacropeptide (GMP)
• Is produced from cows that are grass-fed and grain-fed and hormone free.
• Contains a special enzyme blend to ensure that the protein is readily absorbed for use.