PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain in 2nd week of induction?.

Bajabird5
06-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Just wondering if I am freaking out for nothing, but I have gained 1 pound for the past of each two days during the second week of induction. I did very well my first week losing 7 pounds. I knew that it was going to slow down, but wasnt expecting a gain. I am staying to 20 net grams, eating my 13-15 carbs in foundation veggies, drinking my water...usually 10 glasses, with 4 of those being a sucralose sweetened product like "Ice". I usually eat only 1 Atkins product per day, sometimes 2. I am using the online meal planner for induction for my recipes, using only the "recommended" substitutions and not going off on my own. It is a little confusing to read only 2 Atkins products a day when the online planner will often put in 3, such as a Daybreak shake AND bar for breakfast as well as an Advantage or Engulge bar for a snack....but I am keeping to just 2. I have been weighing myself daily. Perhaps I shouldn't do that. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions?

0nthemend
06-12-2012, 02:22 PM
DEFINITELY cut down on the processed stuff (this includes the atkins products). They can really stall a lot of people. Try to get as close to "real food" as possible. Everything else sounds great though :)

cmeredith
06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
We are only allowed 3 servings of artificial sweetener per day. You have six currently. 2 Atkins products and 4 artificially sweetened drinks.

TXgran
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Baja, I have been on Atkins for about 3 months and have lost 16-17 lbs. Slow but sure. Every time I lose, I have to prepare to see the scales go back up two pounds. I know it is water weight and I don't sweat it. It eventually goes back down and then I lose a pound or so more. My weight goes down in small increments so I don't panic unless I see the numbers go up beyond the 2 lbs. Then I have to re-evaluate. I can tell by my clothes and the way they fit if I am losing. I can tell by the way my body moves so much easier than it used to. I am 71 yrs. old and that is a big incentive for me to move better. Hang in there and don't sweat the small stuff. Overall, this diet is sound and will work for you.

TXgran
06-12-2012, 04:44 PM
cmeredith, I am wondering why Atkins allows two products a day because that would take one over the 3 servings a day?? Should someone address this contradiction with the Atkins folks?

Bajabird5
06-12-2012, 05:00 PM
We are only allowed 3 servings of artificial sweetener per day. You have six currently. 2 Atkins products and 4 artificially sweetened drinks.

My understanding is that you are limited to 3 "packets" of the approved sweeteners, counting each as 1NG, due to the fillers in them that keep them from clumping. The filler being the problem and not the sweetener. The only "added" sweetener I have using is in the AR Creamy Italian Dressing, which isn't even listed as any NGs per serving. I also thought that the reason behind the 2 Atkins products per day was due to the fact that you can't get your minimum 12-15 NG via veggies if you do more. Please understand that I am not trying to argue, just trying to learn. There seem to be some contradictions that I am trying to figure out. Thanks for your reply.

Bajabird5
06-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Baja, I have been on Atkins for about 3 months and have lost 16-17 lbs. Slow but sure. Every time I lose, I have to prepare to see the scales go back up two pounds. I know it is water weight and I don't sweat .

Thanks for the encouragement. Patience is a virtue...

cmeredith
06-12-2012, 05:09 PM
It is 3 *servings* per day whether they have listed net carbs or not. Atkins has a huge learning curve so take your time to learn all you can.

don_freidkin
06-12-2012, 05:24 PM
The serving limit is only a suggested one, that too many people are treating as a rule.

That limit is suggested as an amount of artificial sweetener that a prudent person would follow, and fright sites on the Web notwithstanding, there is no scientific evidence -- none -- to indicate that reasonable amounts of sucralose, saccharin, stevia, whatever, are harmful.

Three servings has been arbitrarily set as a "reasonable" amount.

As for the two-product (bars or shakes) limit, there is an exception if two of the products are used as a meal replacement. In that case, you can have a third product, if it doesn't adversely affect your weight loss rate.

And finally, if you are a woman, please remember that many women gain 3-5 pounds or more due to water retention either before or during their periods, but that water weight goes away once the period has passed.

Hope that helps.

Don

VillaRegina
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
In the booklet that came with the Atkins Starter Kit they recommend no more than 15g of sugar alcohols from Atkins products per day, due to blood sugar response...

ddietsch123
06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I lost 7 lbs. in my first week and and a half, now I've gained almost 2 lbs. in just a few days. I eat no Atkins packaged foods or drinks, drink all the water recommended, try and get vegetables in for lunch and dinner and stick to eggs, cheese, bacon and chicken/beef in recommended portions - I just don't find myself that hungry most of the time and try and snack on a piece of celery with cream cheese on it. I have been suffering with constipation - I'm hoping that this is where the weight is coming. I've been using the sugar free clear dissolving psylium - any other tips? (I haven't been exercising either - that may help as well, right?)

don_freidkin
06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
In the booklet that came with the Atkins Starter Kit they recommend no more than 15g of sugar alcohols from Atkins products per day, due to blood sugar response...

Your point is well-taken, but sugar alcohols are in a different, separate, category from sugar substitutes.

Over-consumption of sugar alcohols has been demonstrated to result in gastric distress including cramps, gas, and diarrhea, while the packaged sugar substitutes like Equal, Splenda, and Sweet n Low, are limited just as a matter of prudence.

Don