PDA

View Full Version : Can You Lose Weight on Atkins taking duretic blood pressure medications?

sherota
07-03-2012, 01:05 AM
I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure in April of this year and was put on a duretic the generic for Maxzide 25. 1/2 tablet per day. I changed my diet to a low salt one in May after major surgery and went down to 161 lbs. My blood pressure was around 120/70 or slightly lower. I decided to go back to Atkins when my doctor said I should try to lose 20-30 pounds. I lost three pounds in the first week and dropped to 158. the second week I lost one, this week I was up 3 back to 160. I know there are a few adjustments that I need to make.
My question is has anyone been successful losing weight on Atkins while still on blood pressure meds? Did it stall your weight loss? How much did you lose and how long did it take you?

Sashi10
07-03-2012, 01:21 AM
It looks like Maxzide 25 is a combination of a thiazide diuretic & a potassium sparing diuertic; these should not impede your success on Atkins from what I can see. I've lost 22 lbs in 4 months while taking a thiazide diuretic. There were some slow periods of loss that seem to have leveled out to a loss of about 5 lbs per month - that's fine with me, I'm halfway to goal & want to see more inches come off.

Good luck!

66wetfloor64
07-03-2012, 01:37 AM
I also take BP meds with diurectics added to them. I just completed my induction phase and lost a total of 12 lbs. My BP went down also. Im going to moniter my BP for about 3 weeks more and go back to the doctor's.

NicholeRain
07-03-2012, 01:41 AM
I am on blood pressure medications, beta blockers. I have been on the induction phase for almost a month, and have also started taking coQ-10 enzyme, Hawthorne, and garlic for blood pressure. My doctor already cut my dosage of BP pills in half because mine was finally back in normal limits. I just wanted to share that. I am not sure how much is the diet, and how much is the vitamins, but a combination of both seems to be effective.

turtlewinks
07-03-2012, 04:31 AM
If you have a tendency to retain water (hence the need for the diuretic), your weight may fluctuate much more due to the water retention. Weigh less frequently. Take measurements. Look for total inches lost. Watch your sodium intake (along with the carbs:-) Good luck!

sherota
07-04-2012, 12:50 AM
That is all so encouraging. I'm going to keep going. I feel very motivated since this time I'm doing this to get healthy noy only to slim down.

don_freidkin
07-05-2012, 02:17 AM
I take a diuretic, an ace inhibitor, and a beta blocker, twice a day, along with assorted other pills, all as a consequence of congestive heart failure, and I'm still losing.

It's painfully slow, but the weight is coming off.

So if I can lose with that whole pharmaceutical menagerie galloping down my throat twice a day, I'd bet that you can, too.

Don

kapple01
07-06-2012, 05:20 PM
<Waving Hello!> I'm another on diuretics, BP meds, pain killers, and muscle relaxers. Is it possible to lose weight on Atkins? Absolutely! You'll be impressed with those blood labs too as you continue to eat this way. Boy, are you going to like what you see! ;)

ds1960
09-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone, I am just to finding out about problems with beta blockers. I lost 30 pounds right away and easily. Now I have been stuck for 18 months! I have just kept plodding along because I feel better. I am now wondering if I will be able to lose the last 30 pounds and I am trying to do some research to see how I should alter my program. I am only eating 20 carbs per day - so that will not be adjusted. Wish me luck!

don_freidkin
09-07-2012, 01:25 AM
The first thing I'd suggest you do is give us enough info to work with, then go over what you eat every day. WHY are you still eating at Induction level? What is your age, height, weight, and goal weight? Male or female?

Please list for us what you eat during a typical day, and we'll see what we can spot.

Don