PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if I am in Ketosis?

TXMary2
08-12-2012, 02:06 AM
...and how long will I be in Ketosis if I still have 85 pounds to lose? I just finished four weeks - I have lost 15.6 pounds....only .4 this week. I am a little disappointed. I have not cheated at all and my calories are usually under 1400. I get about 15 net carbs from veggies. TOM is approaching so that could be why so little lost this week.

My typical day (today's menu)

B= 3 eggs and 2 slices bacon

L=1 Red Bell Pepper
1 medium yellow squash
6 oz burger patty

D= 8 slices of sandwich ham
3.1 ounces of avacado
2 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese

S= Atkins Chocolate Royale Shake
Iced Coffee with 2 splenda and 2 TBS Heavy Whipping Cream

Anyway, what are the signs of Ketosis? I don't necessarily ever feel hungry unless I have gone several hours since eating. I get full fast now. I am not exercising yet.

serea
08-12-2012, 03:06 AM
You have averaged 3.9 lbs loss each week, over 4 weeks. That is fabulous ! Yes, the approach of tom will often have a person retain water and seem to not be losing weight. Relax, stick with the plan and enjoy the ride. If you are consistently eating at 50 total carbs, you are no doubt in ketosis.

Sonyvaio
08-12-2012, 03:17 AM
A metallic taste in the back of your mouth, thirsty, reduced appetite and cravings, lots of energy, sense of well being, clear head/thinking also and I know this is TMI but my urine smells kinda strong too.

Some don't like the ketostix and say they aren't accurate -but- they won't be unless you use them first thing in the AM because many things affect the readings like dietary fat and amount of fluids and exercise. I get them from Walmart 50 stix for $6.78. You are on such a roll...Congrats!!

serea
08-12-2012, 12:26 PM
The only sign of ketosis that I ever had was decreased appetite. Count your carbs and you will know :).

Sony...we say that the stix are not accurate because they are not. I truly feel sorry for those who are lead down the garden path with these stix. If I had relied on them in any way, I would not have continued with Atkins, thinking that I had done something wrong. Over the years on this forum, we have seen hundreds of people stressed out over the lack of results on a pee stick...what a shame.

noodletoy
08-12-2012, 01:41 PM
you are averaging almost 4 pounds per week! that's a lot. the simple truth is you won't lose everyday, or even every week. you may go weeks sometimes. make friends with your tape measure and keep using it. often time we shrink and that means fat loss which won't show on the scale.

and yes, tom always causes issues.

keep up the good work!

sony: it has nothing to do with "like" -- atkins officially no longer recommends the keto stix. they are not in the new book. time and science move forward. they are tools for diabetics, not dieters. there are members here who have lost 100+ pounds and never turned a stick any color of anything.

0Angel0
08-12-2012, 03:54 PM
My signs are reduced hunger and a funky urine smell. Sorry if that's TMI but it's true. I did get the weird taste in my mouth at first but it went away after a few weeks. When I became keto adapted, fully adapted to fat burning, I got tons of energy, a completely clear head, and I can go 24 hours without food easily. I do Intermittent Fasting along with Atkins and will sometimes go dinner to dinner without eating. Not often though cause I like to eat! But when I want to I can. :D

manhands45
08-12-2012, 07:01 PM
On the weight loss issue, again, you're doing great! I've learned it's not linear, though, in that you may slow down on the scale, but continue to lose fat and inches. Just be patient. The scale will catch up.

metatrix
08-12-2012, 08:15 PM
My signs are reduced appetite, strange smelling urine and body odour, reduced symptoms of adhd, higher body temperature/feeling hot all the time (especially after a meal), increased thirst, peeing all the time, and complete lack of cravings for sugar/carbs/food in general. I get hungry (usually 5 hours after a meal), but I never crave a specific food anymore. It's hard to explain. Even the hunger pangs feel different than they used to. It's a different kind of hunger.

I never got that metallic taste in the mouth that people talk about. I don't think I ever got the bad breath, either. The odour seems to come out most strongly in my urine (seriously, the odour in my urine is SO STRONG, that when I catch a whiff of it in the morning it's like a slap in the face!). It comes out a bit in my sweat especially my armpits, but it seems to not come out at all in my breath (or at least I don't notice it). I guess I'm lucky...I wouldn't want to have bad breath!

Oh, I'm also one of those people who consistently test purple with the ketostix....ever since day 3. But the signs/symptoms of ketosis are so obvious to me now that I no longer test with the stix every day.

Sonyvaio
08-13-2012, 04:14 AM
Just wanna say I'm sooo relieved that others also have that strong urine odor/smell. It kinda scared me because I didn't expect that from ketosis so it took me awhile to connect the dots to realize that was the cause. Wow 0Angel0 zero, the occasional fast sounds great. I can sometimes 'forget' to eat when I'm on an induction role and could only wish that I'd forget for a full 24 hours like you :)

Jacq
08-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Congrats on your loss! You are doing fantasic! Lots of great advice...ditch the sticks, count your carbs, follow the guidelines...

One other thing - it doesn't look like you are eating enough. THe guideline for women is 1500-1800 calories per day. You should also be eating 12-15 net carbs from veggies. It looks like your calories and veggie carbs may be low?

:)

TXMary2
08-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Thank you everyone. I think I was definitely in ketosis, but yesterday and today I am hungry all day - again I think it is TOM on the way - but I hate feeling hungry again! I am eating more calories, but not more carbs. I know I have lost a good amount so far, but I get so frustrated by almost two weeks of scale not moving. I will take the advice and be patient!!

serea
08-15-2012, 11:40 AM
How many calories and how many carbs are you eating? You should not be hungry...and if you are....eat :)