PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight on Atkins Frozen Meals...

dawnvertrees
12-28-2012, 06:46 PM
:confused: I'm just going to throw this question out and see if anyone knows if you can lose weight by eating mainly the Atkins frozen meals?

I am a crazy busy jewelry designer and my time is very limited. I have tasted every meal that Atkins has put out there and love every one of them...some days I live mainly on the Atkins Frozen Meals which includes their breakfast, which is wonderful plus I didn't have to cook it. I cook for my skinny husband (rice, gravy, etc..) and that's enough.

I counted up the net carbs and if I include a 3 net carb Treat, it equals 19 net carbs per day. Can I lose weight on that?

Many many years ago, I went on the Genny Craig Diet and lost about 44 lbs. I loved it because all of the thinking was done for me...but I had no energy, this is why I am so excited about these meals.

So if anyone can answer this question for me, I would appreciate it.

Dawn

dad922
12-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I am very excited for the frozen meals !! I need to find a place that sells them near me in Medway, MA. Looks like I need to go to Rhode Island for them..so i'll take a ride :) The meals will really make the plan easier for me.

sylviafareseml@gmail.com
12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Just today, I purchased some of the frozen meals and had the Tex-Mex Scramble for Breakfast and the Beef Merlot for Lunch. I can do this! You know how some frozen meals taste like nothing, I was actually pleased. I found a limited selection but I think come January, we will be able to find more at our local stores. And with all the cooking and working out, I wasn't eating until 8:30PM or 9:00PM and I didn't care for that part of it. I was continually trying to fine-tune my Atkins routine to what works best with work schedule and all. Here's to easier!

dawnvertrees
12-28-2012, 07:59 PM
I think this might be a question for the Atkin's Nutrition gurus? I don't want to purchase $100s of dollars worth of product :( and they say it won't work.

They developed the product, they know what it takes to lose the weight. I think I'll ask them in Colorado...I'll be back hopefully soon with their answer.

dawnvertrees
12-28-2012, 08:05 PM
I agree 100% with you Sylvia. Our Wal-Mart carries all of the products and restock quickly here in NC, I love the convenience of the meals and they taste good! I've cooked so many eggs & bacon that "MY" breakfast are not appealing to me anymore. The Tex-Mex Breakfast is awesome, and is better than any other frozen breakfast by far! If I can lose weight on this...it will be easy!

dawnvertrees
12-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Interesting information from the Atkins Center. I ask the question "Can I lose weight using primarily Atkins Frozen Meals?

Response:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Atkins plan is based on whole and unprocessed foods. You may use the Atkins frozen meals, bars, and shakes as an aid to a low carb lifestyle. Remember, maintaining your weight loss is important to living a healthy life; therefore, it is imperative that whole and unprocessed foods be your main source of food.

I really didn't get the answer I was looking for...but what I took from her response was, not to use the products solely as a way of losing weight. I need to eat unprocessed food as well as whole to lose weight and use the quick fix frozen meals, shake, or bar as an aid to help keep me on the low carb diet.

I can do this :(, I could add in low carb meals such as a "Meat & Veggie" or make a pot of low carb soup to graze on during the week plus use their frozen meals as an aid to help keep me on a low carb plan.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed that I can't rely on their meals as a full time weight loss program. I guess I'm going to have to look more closely at my 1001 Low-Carb Recipes and get over having a simple fix to my hectic schedule.

Sonyvaio
12-28-2012, 10:08 PM
I can see why you what may sound like an indirect answer and not the answer you were looking for. I would be leery if someone who didn't know anything about me, my lifestyle, my health, etc. would give me a direct and specific answer. But having said that, I think the idea is to encourage you to do as you said, add in low-carb meals on your own. That way you're not wholly dependent on the Atkins meals (as good as they may be) to lose and maintain weight loss. Also, it seems that only eating the Atkins meals over time could be pricey, but then, I'm a bit of a proud penny pincher, lol. Good luck!

solaspinner
12-28-2012, 10:14 PM
This was my hope and my question. So sorry cannot diet solely on their prepared food.

GeoP
12-28-2012, 10:23 PM
I bet you could design your own 'fast foods'. Before starting Atkins, I relied way too much upon frozen dinners like Stouffer's meat loaf, etc. Now I buy 10# of grnd beef (no additives-no pink slime) from a local custom meats butcher for $30 each month. I form that into burgers or meat loaves and freeze. It's just a tad extra trouble + much healthier than processed frozen food. In the winter, I eat a lot of frozen veggies anyway, 'cause fresh are spendy. But frozen is better than canned at least. Good luck finding a quick + convenient way to do this way of eating!

Andrea44
12-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Hey there!
I know what you mean, when you say "crazy busy"!!! The meals have been a tremendous help to me, since they came out. My Mother passed away on the 14th of December, and I just didn't feel like cooking. How convenient that they were in the Walmart freezer the very next day! The meals were a lifesaver during the days it took me to pull myself back together enough to cook.

Currently, I am in busy mode getting things packed up from the house, moving furniture, cleaning and doing paperwork. The meals are nice when you get into the middle of a mess and don't want to cook. Having said that, I know I still need some whole, raw, fresh foods to get the optimal amount of vitamins and nutrients. So, I'd just encourage you to work at finding a nice balance between the fresh and the frozen.
Here's a few ideas:
Many times, I choose fresh cut veggies and a nice dip--bleu cheese or ranch.
Other times, something crunchy....like crackers sounds good, so I make Atkins friendly cheese its. Those take all of three minutes to make. A piece of parchment paper on a microwave safe plate. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar. Nuke for 2 to 2 and a half minutes. Blot off excess grease. Cool and break into crackers. They make splendid little carrier for meats and dips.
Sometimes something hot sounds good, and when time allows, I do a big batch of jalepeno poppers and save some to warm up on another day. Just slice longways and clean out the jalepenos. Spoon in a tsp of chive/onion cream cheese. Lay a slice of bacon over the top. Broil until the bacon is crispy....5-10 min. Save the ones you don't eat for another day.
In place of a sammie, I use leaf lettuce, spread with either mayo or cream cheese, and pile on lunchmeat, onions, peppers, tomatoes, radishes....whatever happens to be handy that is a veggie. And once it is all rolled up, you have a salad and a sandwhich all in one!
Hardboiled eggs are a fantastic save. Celery sticks with cream cheese...another veggie favorite. Dill pickles, cherry peppers, olives...all good, quick nibbles.
Cream cheese clouds are a great sweet treat that you can make a ton of, and just keep in the freezer. FIgure out what flavor cheese cake you like best, and add the extract into the cream cheese/butter/splenda mixture. Lemon is my fav. So, I put some zest into the mixture, combine it well, the put little blobs onto wax paper lined cookie sheets. I freeze them for an hour or two, then transfer the clouds to an airtight covered container in the freezer. I usually do a triple batch, and they last for weeks.
If you can, take a look at www.genaw.com/locarb/index.html That is one of my all time favorite sites.

Hope that helps you out some. Best wishes, Andrea

FormerMember
12-31-2012, 05:41 AM
The Atkins Meal Planner on this very website seems to indicate that using Atkins frozen meals for about 1/3 of your meals is acceptable. Personally, I would find them not enough food and would supplement them with acceptable foods at the same meal. That's one of the big problems with cutting carbs, you cut bulk as well.... Though once you get used to it, it's all good.

DeniseT.
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Is it a good idea to only eat the frozen meals? No.
Eating only processed foods is what put most of this in the position that we are in today in the first place.

But if you were to choose between eating the Atkins frozen meals versus Lean Cuisine or a Pizza, your choice is clear.

I'd agree with the previous poster.
I tend to take a half-day a week and prepare all of my meals for the week ahead. (Portion and freeze where applicable). This is the key to my being successful.

0Angel0
01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Interesting information from the Atkins Center. I ask the question "Can I lose weight using primarily Atkins Frozen Meals?

Response:

I really didn't get the answer I was looking for...but what I took from her response was, not to use the products solely as a way of losing weight. I need to eat unprocessed food as well as whole to lose weight and use the quick fix frozen meals, shake, or bar as an aid to help keep me on the low carb diet.

I can do this :(, I could add in low carb meals such as a "Meat & Veggie" or make a pot of low carb soup to graze on during the week plus use their frozen meals as an aid to help keep me on a low carb plan.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed that I can't rely on their meals as a full time weight loss program. I guess I'm going to have to look more closely at my 1001 Low-Carb Recipes and get over having a simple fix to my hectic schedule.

This isn't Jenny Craig, Medifast, or Nutrisystem. Atkins recommends whole natural unprocessed foods because they are best for your body and weightloss. We don't live in a perfect world and we are all busy with tons of stuff going on so they make convenience foods that are as healthy as the manufacturing and price point allow them to be. They are there to work in a pinch and that's awesome. I highly respect the Atkins company for maintaining that whole unprocessed foods are best. It shows a credibility that a lot of other diet companies hawking products lack.

If you're dying for a candy bar eating an Atkins bar is a way to do so without throwing yourself out of ketosis. If you don't have time to make a proper dinner an Atkins entree and salad are better than a high carb Lean Quisine or Weight Watchers pasta filled low protein low fat entree. But they aren't better than taking 10 minutes to put a chicken in the oven and another 5-10 minutes to steam some veggies or make a salad.

There's nothing more important than your health and if you want to keep up your busy lifestyle you need to fuel it properly. There are lots of tips and tricks that even the busiest among us use to keep whole foods as the base of their diet. It just requires some learning and adjusting but it totally doable.

kellis123
01-03-2013, 03:19 PM
It' never a good idea to rely soley on processed foods. Even the nutrisystem, jenny craig, etc, have you add your own salads and veggies to supplement the processed foods they give you for the diet. Maybe use the frozen meals for one meal a day, a shake for breakfast, and prepare simple meals otherwise. If you have one day a week where you can cook for a couple of hours, you can make your own healthy meals and freeze them in single serving sizes on your own, and then just heat them up. I do that when I can. Chicken with veggies, hamburger w/ veggies, etc on a plate in the freezer, pull it out and heat it up when I need a quick meal. Add a side salad, and good to go. Good luck!

sognatrice
01-04-2013, 12:26 AM
I am heartened that the Atkins staffer who responded to your query emphasized the importance of building your diet around whole and unprocessed foods. I was actually concerned that the launch of this new frozen foods line was going to create confusion about how "Atkins plan" is defined. Certainly, the company wants to make money off of its product lines, and that is totally reasonable. But I am pleased that the company personnel are still emphasizing real food!