PDA

View Full Version : How many carbs are in Tums?

marfar7
01-31-2013, 04:36 AM
Hey all,

Maybe some of u will have the answer to my? . My husband (who obssesively count carbs) woke me up in the middle of the nite with heartburn asking for Tums. After giving him a couple, he began worrying about the carb content (which worries me too cuz I start induction on Fri). From the websites I've checked 3 said 0 and 3 said 1 carb for 2 Tums. Maybe you guys can break the tie? The nutritional info isn't on the back of medications.

I hope I don't have to worry as my lapband is slepped right now and not only do I take RX Prilosec and OTC Zantac, I also chew at least 12-16 Tums a day to deal with my reflux. Sure hope I don't have to count Tums as part of my daily allottment

Marci

ohiocat
01-31-2013, 11:12 AM
According to one site I looked at, they are saying 1.5g of sugars in a "serving" and trying to call it 0 carbs. They obviously have some carbs, probably just under 1 carb. If you have to chew an occasional Tums, I wouldn't worry about it, but 12-16 carbs a day is going to be a problem. Maybe talk to a doctor and see if you can try a different reflux medication.

Hopefully the change in diet helps to make the reflux better on its own.

Good Luck.

Trigger828
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
lapband slipped? is that bad? I don't know. maybe get that fixed soon???

mgrech24
01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
My box of store brand says 1 carb per 2 tablets. I would def count them as a carb since there is some sugar.

Be careful with tums. I suffer from GERD and taking tums can actually have a rebound effect on indegestion or acid reflux if taken too often. Your body will start to rely on that and produce MORE acid thus requiring more tums. Unless your doc told you to take 12 tums a day, I would talk to them about adjusting the prilosec. I take the same meds and had to have mine doubled and all is happy in tummy land.

Cheers!
-Mario

moretabs
01-31-2013, 05:07 PM
When you start the diet you might not need all the heartburn medicine as much since you won't be eating many carbs. I used to have persistent heart burn quite often, and upon starting, I haven't had any. I would also be careful if you have to take 12-16 tums a day, and your on Prilosec and Zantac. Definitely talk to your MD about your lapband too. Good luck.

marfar7
01-31-2013, 06:50 PM
lapband slipped? is that bad? I don't know. maybe get that fixed soon???

It's not a really bad slip, that requires surgery or anything. I still have some help from my band, but I've gained about 20 lbs since it slipped 10 mths ago so I think I'm needing a little more structure (like Atkins). As long as I don't have anymore symptoms (pain, vomiting, severe reflux) then I'm good to continue with it. My dr has taken out some fluid so it relieves my symptoms, it also relieves alot of my restriction! Thanks for caring!

Marci

terrilynnmerritts
01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
My husband takes Tums too and our bottle says 2 carbs. Yes, you would have to count Tums as part of your daily allotment of carbs. I am concerned that you are taking prescription Prilosec and otc Zantac which are not supposed to be taken together as well as up to 16 Tums a day which should not be taken with the other two. I think you need to talk to your doctor about this. If your reflux is so severe you are mixing meds like this, it can be dangerous. Also, you might get kidney stones from all the calcium in all of those Tums. I got two that way! I am on Prilosec and have no reflux and I had been the queen of reflux with episodes so severe they eroded my esophagus and gave me ulcers. Please, marfar7, tell the doctor because these are meds that should not be mixed and even the Tums package says not to take so much of that. I am very concerned about you.