PDA

View Full Version : Atkins effects on Menstrual Cycle

llobik
03-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I`ve been on Atkins for 5 weeks now. I`m not supposed to start my period until next week, but I started a week early. I`m on the pill and usually start the exact same time every month. I haven`t changed anything else in my life except for starting the Atkins diet which I love! I`ve lost 15.5 pounds so far. Has anyone else experienced the same thing and if so, does it go away?

FormerMember
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
There was just another post about this yesterday, I believe. When losing weight, the released fat can contain hormones that may affect your menstrual cycle. As weight loss slows (as it normally does to some degree or another,) these effects should dissipate.

robinlg62
03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I wanted to post something about some chages I notices, but didn`t know if it would be "taboo". Mine started on time, but it is so different than previous months. I am super regular and it is always super heavy. Not so much this time, which is nice. Maybe this is another good benefit for me.

Congrats llobik on the 15.5 lbs.!

Giraffe222
03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I experienced the same thing this month. Even though I am on bc pills, I was a week early. I`m hoping that as my body adjusts it will realign with the cycle of the pills.

don_freidkin
03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Nothing is taboo here except graphic descriptions of chocolate lust, and rudeness toward other members.

}:-)

Don

KimHardesty
03-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Mine stopped after I started Atkins. I did not have it for 8 months. Then, I upped my carbs and took myself out of ketosis for a week to try to shake up a loooong stall and had my monthly visitor for two months. Haven`t had it since (6 months) - I am 41. I, too, believe the changes are hormonal. As was said, there is a lot of estrogen stored in those fat cells that comes rushing out as we lose the fat.

llobik
03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses.

gustavamom
03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
If you are a `cyster"( Have PCOS) then Atkin`s is sometimes the only way to get your body cycling regularly again. It was one of the reasons I came back after 5 months without a period I knew I needed to get back on track. By pain etc I think I ovulated about a week ago after being back on Atkins for a week so I should see my cycle in about a week ( I became very in tune with this from battling infertility for 5 years. Atkins is amazing for PCOS I never would have had my kids without it)

lucidity
03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
My cycle was early the first month and late the second. I can`t say my experince is typical though since I am going through `the change`.

AmethystM
03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
I`ve been spotting for several days. I`m on the pill and not due for another week. I also don`t have mine every month, so I have no idea what`s going to happen.

ElizabethMG
03-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I`m on Seasonale which is only 1 period every 3 months. I had been eating low carb for about 4 weeks and started spotting. Then I forgot to take my pill one day and had a full on cycle for 7 days. Now back to normal. I was really worried until I came across this thread. Thanks!

AmethystM
03-16-2011, 12:05 AM
I`m still not sure what the answer is about back-up contraception and if it`s needed. I`m guessing might as well just in case since my hormones are all out of whack. Nobody answered about this on my post (that I saw).

katalina75
03-16-2011, 12:39 AM
I haven`t had TOM since starting Atkins in December. I have been doing the happy dance thinking that I have finally hit menopause and am done. These comments make me think this could be due to Atkins--now I really will have to make this a way of eating for life!

kat

DavesTurtleDove
03-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Mine totally changed when I started Atkins as well. I never linked the two. I feel like I overlooked the obvious answer as to why mine became so problematic. I suddenly feel so enlightened. I was concerned to the point that I actually made an apt with my OBGYN.

Reading this post has given me one of those smack yourself in the head type moments! DUH!

moviegal226
03-18-2011, 09:41 PM
It`s always a good idea to get checked out by your gynecologist. I know how unpleasant that can be, especially when you are overweight. But hopefully everyone is getting at least a yearly checkup!

andreamm1988
03-19-2011, 06:57 PM
I have been freaking out the past few days. I am on birth control, and have a period every 2-3 months (as I choose, I "cycle" my pills).

Since starting Atkins on Feb 28th, I`ve had a full period when I wasn`t supposed to. Stopped for a few days, and have been spotting ever since. I was considering seeing a doctor until I saw this post... It still makes me extremely nervous. I`ve never had this problem before.

AmethystM
03-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Katalina - exactly what are you eating? If I could make mine quit, I`d be a happy camper! :)

Monica_77
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Mine has been really weird. I am 10 weeks into Atkins...I was due for TOM in the 2nd week of Atkins, but didn`t get it until about the 4th week....now, 6 weeks later, I still don`t have it again but keep thinking anyday now?! Good knowing a lot of us are in the same boat I guess.

llobik
03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I actually ended up getting my period exactly when I was supposed to but spotted for almost a week and a half before that. It appears to be over for the time being. I`ll have to see what happens next month. The posts that say you haven`t gotten your period in months worries me as I want to start trying to have a baby in June. Maybe I should see my OBGYN just in case. Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Rdg3118
03-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks ladies, I experienced the same problem this month. Except mine was not early it was six days lady--however, I did not get worried I figured it was my change in eating. I also must say this WOE helped with the symptons not as much cramping it was short and no cravings at all--I normally crave chocolate. Also, my doctor gave me the heads up that it may change b/c of the changes I am making. Good luck to all and llobik and any one else who has not had their cycle in months I would def. go see ur OB just to be sure their isn`t something you should be concerned about. :)

ursa_so
03-23-2011, 06:14 AM
I`m very happy I came across this topic, since I started with another diet on 1.1. and only started Atkins about a week ago. there has been some irregularity with me as well, probably also from my first diet. I`m a bit relieved that I`m not the only one - so thank you for the post :)

Chrysss13
04-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I am very happy i seen this post! I also have been having some irregular periods even before i started this diet but since i started this diet my cramps are so horrible as well as my menstrual cycle but i am happy to know that it is not only happening to me

fitnesstrainer
04-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Switching my diet from low fat to Low carb has been great for me. Especially hormonally. Before I was going through roughly 3-5 days of cramping and bloating. Now, I am only having 1 - 2 days of the cramping and bloating that is not as severe. I don`t spend as much time waiting to start. And it doesn`t last as long as it did (which I love). I`m still a bit moody, but it`s not lasting as long.

jesuslovesjudy
09-11-2011, 11:17 PM
since I`ve been on atkins my mentrual is much heavier than it has been in yrs!

margiemix
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes, take back up contraception. I landed pregnant half way to my goal weight on Atkins 10yrs ago. I gained some of that weight back over the years and last spring did a semi-Atkins type of diet and started to exercise. I had two periods in one month and lo and behold - I landed pregnant the next month. At age 43!!

Sadly I miscarried just before my 12th week this time but I'm here today because Aunt Flow is back for the 2nd time this month. Of course I just started the Atkins diet again - so yes, your endocrine system changes are changing. But not changing for the bad so hang in there, it will straighten back up to a more healthier you.

SeekUp_Grasshopper
01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Good thread! So I guess this could explain why my breasts have been massively painful and swollen pretty much since I started induction 15 days ago...? I had TOM my first week, and now have been spotting for the past few days. Getting a bit tired of painful boobs.... :( ...but it's a sacrafice I'm ok with for long term goal reaching lol :)

angelacez27
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm with you on the sore boobs! UGH! But honestly it's not that big a bother if I'm losing and it's making me feel better. The first one on atkins was horrible! I was so moody and mean and just nasty for a while(I don't normally pms but I did for that month!). But I'm going to start in a week or so and I do have random spotting. I'm so glad I saw this post about what is in fat cells! Very interesting and I know this will all tone down eventually. I'm not spotting like I was when I first started atkins either. Better this month. But huge possitive, my head feels so much clearer! Carbs make it harder for me to thing straight and I forget things more. And an other possitive, I'm not as bloated during either. Honestly, I'll take spotting and sore boobs over a muddled head and huge bloating every month. :) Thanks ladies!

laivo
01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
I haven't had any menstrual pain since being on Atkins and it's a bit weird but I'm NOT complaining! :D Good thread!

amandarada
01-25-2012, 03:23 PM
im almost a week and a half late, I dont take the pill i have the birth control rod in my arm so i cant "make" myself cycle. Ive been wondering whats going on cause im still cramping like i do before i start and this has been a lot longer then normal for me.....thanks for the post!

rsmccm
01-25-2012, 03:33 PM
I am also on the pill and have just started my second week of induction, I started a week early and totally freaked out! I am a little concerned though, I started out strong and lost six pounds the first week and now I've completely stalled out this week - weight has stayed the same for three days - any suggestions????

LaineyLives
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
There have even been instances of post-menopausal women getting periods again. doesn't last long though and when that happens we ALWAYS recommend a trip the GYN and make sure he/she knows you are doing Low Carb.

moocampr
02-12-2012, 02:55 PM
9 lbs down and got my period after 2.5 weeks on atkins. last vist at gyn he told he has seen plenty of women who get a return visit after 15 months. Since I thought I was in menopause, believe me it was a total surprise when TOM showed up after not seeing him for exactly 15 months. I attribute it to Atkins, my weight loss, and my PCOS off levels falling back into line!

jamail4
02-17-2012, 06:34 PM
I am about a week and a half into atkins.. and Ive noticed some spotting..which concerned me So I have an apt. with my OB. I hope its just because of low carb eating and nothing more.

colette_heimowitz
02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Weight loss in and of itself will have an impact on a woman's cycle. Things should improve when weight loss slows. Make sure you avoid the starvation mode or over exercising. Ovarian function depends critically upon the frequency which pulses of LUTEINIZING HORMONE (LH) are secreted by the Pituitary Gland into the blood .

LH pulsatility is disrupted in amenorrheic (without period) athletes, and it is disrupted in young regularly menstruating women when their energy availability is reduced by extreme dietary restriction, extreme exercise energy expenditure, or a combination of moderate amounts of both .