PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin MIM

RebeccaJS
09-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I have found that I do like the pumpkin mim. I used the golden flax-seed and used cream cheese as suggested by others and it was pretty good. Does anyone know if they will keep overnight? I would like to have an alternative to my eggs in the morning sometimes.

LaineyLives
09-19-2010, 01:30 PM
How much pumpkin goes into a pumpkin MIM? Are the other ingredients the same? Thanks!

RebeccaJS
09-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Lainey,
This was the recipe I followed, I don`t remember who posted it, but it was from this site. I used the golden flax-seed and I also did 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice instead of the 1 tsp. of cinnamon. I topped it with cream cheese after. I could definitely do this one a few times a week in the mornings. I just don`t know if it will keep overnight so I can make it the night before.

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon pumpkin (.625 net carbs)

(total carbs is 12.7, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.9)

Terra
09-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Yes, you can keep them over night in the fridge. You can make them like a loaf of bread if you like, slice them, and and toast them for breakfast. If you like those, you`ll love pumplin cheesecake! LL-as much pumpkin as your taste calls for. everything really should go by your taste as well as watching carb intake.

RebeccaJS
09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks Terra.....I will have to try it!

Terra
09-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Sure thing!

Reba32
09-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I use the usual MIM recipe and add 2 tablespoons of pumpkin and 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon. It needs to cook a few seconds longer though. 10 to 20 seconds, depending on your microwave.

LaineyLives
09-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks everyone!

How long will canned pumpkin last once opened? Store in a container in the fridge?

newme4good
09-19-2010, 02:56 PM
I would like to try these, they sound really good.

Terra, If you make it like a loaf of bread do you have to bake in the oven? And what kind of pumpkin are you suppose to use?

kcronin
09-19-2010, 03:06 PM
@Lainey- My pumpkin seems to last forever in the fridge. Transfer the extra pumpkin puree to a storage container with a lid. I wouldn`t store in the metal can.

@Newme4good- To make the loaf yes, you bake in the oven. I find 325F for 45-60 min. to be about right. Until a knife comes out clean, or pretty clean. Depending on how much pumpkin you add the loaf is quite moist. I found if I added a lot that the knife never came out clean.

Another option for oven cooking is to make hamburger bun size circles on a cookie sheet and bake that way. When I do that I bake about 15 or 20 minutes. The "buns" hold together than the loaf does. They look like those Tastey Cakes Thomas` makes. I store mine in a ziplock in the freezer. I pop into the microwave to defrost. If not frozen you can pop into the toaster for a real treat.

-Kathy

lotus
09-20-2010, 04:50 AM
What to do when you have only fresh pumpkin available?How do you use it and how much?

serea
09-20-2010, 08:08 AM
After your fresh pumpkin is prepared you use it the same way as canned.

Terra
09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I use the real can pumpkin, and yes I bake it in the oven. I will give you my flax loaf recipe, if I can find it! LOL!

Terra
09-20-2010, 10:48 AM
12 servings flaxseed (I use Hodgmills milled flaxseed)
8 servings no calorie sweetener packets (Splenda)
2 oz cream cheese
6 large eggs
1 1/2 sticks butter (Real)
1 oz cinnamon
1 tbsp pumpkin spice
1 tbsp vanilla
3 tsps baking soda
DirectionsMix dry ingredients together. Mix eggs, butter, and cream cheese together after soften. Then mix dry to wet. Put in buttered loaf pan. Slice lines on top, and cut butter pads to put over each slat. Cook 350 for 40 min.
Add your pumpkin- how ever much you want.

newme4good
09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Terra
I`m not very good @ baking so I have a couple of questions for you.
How much is a Serving?? Is it one cup? Do you put the pumpkin in with the eggs, cream cheese and butter?
What kind of pumpkin do you use, is it the one in the baking area (pumpkin filler for pies) I`ve never seen any other pumpkin in cans in the grocery store.

Thank you :)

CorrineH
09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
I`ve been making my pumpkin MIMs for a while now with just the pumpkin pie spice and they taste so good! I looked at my grocery store and couldn`t find any pumpkin so I`m thinking it`s not in season yet? I might have a can in the pantry though so I`m going to try some with actual pumpkin in it tonight or tomorrow.

Reba32
09-21-2010, 11:38 AM
*<<What kind of pumpkin do you use, is it the one in the baking area (pumpkin filler for pies) I`ve never seen any other pumpkin in cans in the grocery store>>*

newme4good, use plain pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie filling! The pie filling will already have the spices and SUGAR in the can, you don`t want the sugars. Plain pumpkin is just plain pumpkin, and depending where you live will depend on what brands are available.

@Terra, your recipe is a bit confusing. How much is a "serving" for the flax to use? Can you give us an exact measurement? Like cups or tablespoons or...?

And just an FYI to those new to flax, you wouldn`t want to use whole flax seeds in any recipe, because they are not digestible. You need ground flax _meal_.