PDA

View Full Version : SOYBEAN OIL AND MAYONNAISE?

sinefile
02-20-2011, 08:38 AM
whats the deal with soybean oil and THE NEW ATKINS? it discourages using soybean oil based mayo, but my fav brand, HELLMANS uses it.

suezeb
02-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Here`s the story on soybean oil:

Soybean oil is a partially hydrogenated trans fat. We know all the lovely things trans fats are to blame for.
Soybean oil depresses the thyroid, which lowers your energy levels.
Soybean oil as a trans fat is linked to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer`s disease, infertility in women, depression...

The reason manufacturers use soybean oil is because it`s CHEAP.

It is so easy to make your own mayo, why would you pay Hellman`s to do it and poison you with soybean oil at the same time?

Illusiamyst
02-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Hellmans does make one with Canola oil and Olive oil now.. I have not tried them yet, but that might be worth looking into?

sinefile
02-20-2011, 09:13 AM
SUEZEB - thanks for the response. agree its relatively easy to make it, but the price issue makes buying premade mayo more appealing.

you`re bound to spend twice, or thrice as much making your own vs. buying pre-made. yeah, its economies of scale and using soybean vs. olive. but it still an issue.

didnt realize the whole trans fat thing. food for thought (excuse the pun!)

Jesuslovesu2
02-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I don`t use a lot of mayo, but I use the Olive Oil may by Best Foods (Hellmanns). Its not a lowfat mayo, but it is lower in fat than most of the others....

I use mayo once or twice a week. or to add to my avocado. I mash the avo up and add mayo to make it creamy, and call it guacamole.

suezeb
02-20-2011, 09:19 AM
You mean an egg and olive oil is more costly than Hellman`s marketing machine? And Illu- every commercial evoo mayo I`ve seen has added sugar.

kimbeek
02-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I`ve been looking for a brand that uses no soybean oil at all. Haven`t found one yet. Even the ones that say they use olive oil if you look at the ingredients will still have soybean oil in them. This is an issue for me because I have a severe soy allergy. Will appreciate any help in this matter I can get.

Illusiamyst
02-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I haven`t tried them suezeb, but that definetly would stop me from trying them, LOL

I have took my had at making homemade maybe before, it seems per ounce to be cheaper than the store bought, I just had a hard time getting it right, think I need to give my hand at it again. LOL

babyweight2010
02-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Suezeb, do you have a recipe for the mayo or know where I can find one? Buttoni`s site or Linda`s site? The less I can buy processed, the better!

sinefile
02-20-2011, 09:34 AM
SUEZEB - yeah, the sugar content is defintitely a concern for me. trying to do Induction with zero sugar. that`s when i realized how hard it was! didnt realize how many things had sugar in them!

even curiouser, if u look at the nutrition label (for Hellmans), sugars has a "zero` even though its listed in the ingredients. how can that be?

mutecht
02-20-2011, 09:37 AM
because it is less then .5 carb and in the U.S. they can round down to 0!

Jesuslovesu2
02-20-2011, 09:38 AM
If its under .5 gram, they can list it as zero. If its between .5 and .9, they list it as "<1"

mutecht
02-20-2011, 09:40 AM
I use hellmans, but I only use mayo maybe once a week.. and I don`t buy it!! I get heavy mayo from a friend!!

sinefile
02-20-2011, 09:40 AM
wonder if a .5 carb/sugar has any measurable effect on blood sugar/insulin levels?

Jesuslovesu2
02-20-2011, 09:43 AM
I really don`t concern myself with it because I tend to only use processed foods for about 10% of my dietary needs.

Another thing I try to avoid is over-analyzing something that is made to be simple.

Ka100149
02-20-2011, 09:56 AM
The Atkins new book has great receipes for home made
dressings and may.

babyweight2010
02-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Doh <slaps hand to forehead>, of course there`s one in the book. I should have checked there first! Thanks Ka!

soscha
02-20-2011, 10:42 AM
@ kimbeek - sorry, I can`t help you with products on the U.S. market as I live in Switzerland. As I also have a soy allergy I am used to reading labels and just recently discovered that some Swiss milk chocolates have soy flour besides soy lecithin listed as an ingredient, as have virtually all breads (thus I`m baking my own). What do you do about Chinese food? I love it, but soy sauce, even `though fermented, is a problem for me. There is one good thing about allergies. You may get them, but you may also lose them, we just have to think positively...!

Mitch_
02-20-2011, 11:01 AM
.5 NC would not be particularly relevant in and of itself and a couple servings throughout the day still leaves plenty of room in the remainder of your net carbs (20 - (12-15)).

mohrvic
02-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I just started Atkins today. Was reading every mayo label at the grocery store yesterday. Found one made by Spectrum Naturals - label reads "Canola Mayonnaise. It is made with Expeller pressed canola oil and has zero carbs. Used it to make chicken salad - tasted great.

suezeb
02-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Here`s the basics on mayo:
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Make-Mayonnaise---Whip-It-Up-59515258
You can find recipes with garlic (that`s aioli - garilc mayonnaise) You can leave the mustard out...it`s basically, egg yolk, lemon juice or even vinegar, and oil - I like lite olive oil in mine, but you can use canola oil - I would rather eat arsenic than knowingly ingest soybean oil.

The older I get the less tolerant I get of Madison Avenue and their shenanigans trying to sell me stuff that is not good for me. The more I can make myself and control what goes in, the better I like it. I don`t use a ton of mayo, so this is easy for me. You can even use a wire whip and a NONreactive bowl. I have a glass bowl that I use if I do it by hand, and mini food processor if I`m in a hurry. There`s something very zen about making mayo. :)

kimbeek
07-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Hello everyone.
I mistakenly thought that I`d get some kind of notification in my email when a response was posted, you know, like Facebook. Thanks so much for your responses to my problem. Suezeb, I`m going to try to make that mayo. I don`t use much, just for tuna salad and deviled eggs. However, those tend to be a staple for me when I`m in stage 1. I`ll post back and let you know how it goes.

RebeccaLatham
07-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I make my own with 1/3 olive oil, 1/3 coconut oil and 1/3 MCT oil. So good and I know what is in it (and what is not!).

If you want to be notified of responses here, click on "Subscribe" under the title of the post.

:0)