PDA

View Full Version : Does Xanax slow you down?

colinsmom27
03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I quit smoking 6 months ago, but the doctor prescribed Xanax for me to help control my panic attacks (apparently I was self-medicating by smoking). I`ve read that several medications can slow weight loss. Is this possibly one of them? Thanks for the advise in advance!

Robin

zimmiesgirl
03-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Everyone`s physiologically different, but Xanax actually helped me lose weight. Unfortunately, it`s highly addictive (I`ve been on benzos for panic attacks for 35 years, Xanax since 1985). The higher the dosage, the easier it was for me to lose, even when I wasn`t trying.
BUT, over the past three years, I`ve been taking my dosage DOWN slowly and not watching my diet. My appetite increased as did my craving for carbs and sweets AND my lack of motivation. Of course, a significant weight gain has followed. Talk to your doc, but I`ve consulted with more than a few and none has ever indicated that the drug caused weight gain.
Get exercise!! Good luck!!

?Ali100?
03-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Well done to you Zimmiesgirl as Benzos are notoriously hard to come off but then I expect you know that already.
Colinsmom, weight gain is not a published side effect of Xanax and neither is weight loss but, everyone is different so the effect on your weight loss plan is likely to be individualised. I would expect that Collette will have further information for you relating to the specifics of ANA and Xanax.
How is your induction going?
Alison

colette_heimowitz
03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Xanax should not cause weight gain.

chickfromPahrump
03-08-2009, 08:10 AM
I took Xanax alot in my 30`s becuase I had a full blown panic disorder , I even had to spend 3 weks in a psyciatric unit because I developed so many phobias from this dibilitating illness. I became totally agoraphobic . I don`t even remember how I got myself to that hospital. Thank goodness it was less than a mile from my house. I am all well now, but I was on that Xanax for about a year and then just carried it in my purse where ever I went for about another year till I trusted myself not to have panic attacks every time I left the house, but I was thinner than I had ever been on Xanaxm infact I was under weight. The ecpert , Colette , has expressed her professional opinion and I would take that to the bank. Roxanne

chickfromPahrump
03-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Just a thought too, If XanaX helps to aleviate your attacks I would continue taking it. This is just me, but there is nothing in this world more terrifying than a panic attack or living in fear of the nxt ones arrival. I would rather be fat than have my panic attacks return. I am going to fly in the next week and I have my Xanax ready for the plane flight . Flying terrifies me. If I gain a few pounds I would rather have that happen than to have a panic attack. Roxanne

?Ali100?
03-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi Roxanne
thankyou for sharing this information as I`m sure that wasn`t easy.
I would suggest that it might be worth considering that the anxiety created by having panic attacks or fearing that you might experience one is likely to cause a loss of weight with the regular experience of "fight or flight" symptoms or tension. A lot of people experience substantial weight loss when depressed and/or anxious and in fact its a recognised symptom of depression (perversly so is weight gain!)
Good luck with the flight, you sound like you have a really good understanding of your own body and psyche so I`m sure you will be fine - are you going anywhere nice?
Best wishes
Alison

?Ali100?
03-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Roxanne
thankyou for sharing this information as I`m sure that wasn`t easy.
I would suggest that it might be worth considering that the anxiety created by having panic attacks or fearing that you might experience one is likely to cause a loss of weight with the regular experience of "fight or flight" symptoms or tension. A lot of people experience substantial weight loss when depressed and/or anxious and in fact its a recognised symptom of depression (perversly so is weight gain!)
Good luck with the flight, you sound like you have a really good understanding of your own body and psyche so I`m sure you will be fine - are you going anywhere nice?
Best wishes
Alison

?Ali100?
03-08-2009, 08:27 AM
sorry about repetition, I had an error message and thought it hadn`t posted!!!
Alison

chickfromPahrump
03-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Alison, thank you for your kind words. It was so good it was worth repeating like you did. Ha!! You are right about the fight or flight . I was too wound up and scared to eat. I wouldn`t wish this illness on my worst enemy, infact I would rather die than experience what I did 20 years ago. It was indeed a fate worse than death cuz you feel like yoou are going to die alll the time. You really do. You feel that death is immenant(spelling?)
I am going to visit my siblings who all some how ended up in Texas towns. Houston , Mc Allen , Angleton and one in Searcy Ark. I am also going to visit my niece in San Antonio. I am only flying to Mc Allen though , then my sister and I will drive to the other places. Thank goodness . I really am scared to fly. The closer it gets the more nervous I become. I am trying not to think of it and I am afraid I will have a panic attack driving to the airport, because when you are alone you are more apt to panic, being amongst people who can save me calms me. I haven`t had a panic attack since the first week I started atkins. I wasn`t getting my usual fair and it was a change for my body and any change for me will sometimes trigger an attack, Even a good change. Yeah I do my body a favor and it rewards me with an attack. I have learned to float thru them . You cannot fight them. I just go thru the alphabet all the girls names that start with A then all the boys names that start with A and so on, It helps. I have to take my concentration offf the attack, I trick my brain basically. It works. My mother whom has never had a panic attack suggested I do this. Thankyou . Roxanne

?Ali100?
03-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi Roxanne
you sound like a strong woman and I thought that when I read your earlier, very savvy posts, to others.
How fab that you are going to see your brothers and sisters - is it a special occasion?
It really sounds like your Mom is a sensible and wise woman who gives good advice. Don`t forget to take a paper bag with you as part of your anti-panic attack kit. Its a bit like being prepared for all food eventualities on Atkins, if you are prepared nothing is a problem and we can use our Mims, or brain tricks, as a security blanket. That brain trick you use is similar to one I use when I can`t remember someones name or something else, I run thru the alphabet and I usually get a feel of the correct letter and eventually it will come. We call these memory lapses "senior moments" even tho I`m in my 40`s!! I have, on many occasions been a flight buddy with a complete stranger who happens to sit next to me and needs some support. I think flying is often something that "bonds" strangers for a short but intense period. People are so interesting -don`t you think, I always learn something new on a flight.
As an ex air hostess (years ago!) I suggest you get on the plane as late as possible as all that hanging around isn`t good for anyone. Ask for an aisle seat or one with more leg room in front of you then you won`t feel to hemmed in but don`t worry if you can`t get one. Can you book in online? If you can it will save you going to the airport early. Taken something to do while you wait, reading, writing a letter or similar and settle down with that. If you can get an aisle seat near one of the cabin crew that might add to your security.
Finally (a bit of an epistle I`m afraid) think positively, you can do it, there`s loads to gain by doing it and, just because you`ve had panic attacks before doesn`t mean you will again.
You go girl!!
best wishes and the very best of luck.
Alison