PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Myth?...soaking potatoes for 2 hrs removes starch

jgomel
07-11-2011, 08:50 AM
I was told by a friend who had a diabetic mother that soaking potatoes for at least 2 hrs before cooking them would remove the starch. If that`s true can I make my mashed potatoes and be guilt-free? Would that reduce the carbs? I`m trying to get my dad on Atkins and I`m afraid if he can`t eat his potatoes that may keep him from trying Atkins. I need your advice.
Thank you.

Inquiet
07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I wouldn`t want to try it.

The potatoes I liked most are the ones with the highest starch content -- baking potatoes, such as Russet.

The waxy skinned white and red potatoes have the highest water content, and thus, the lowest starch content. They can be soaked for a few hours to remove some starch. All of it? I doubt it and have no way of knowing how to count carbs that remain.

The wondrous thing about New Atkins is that it introduces us to a whole new unexplored world of vegetables low in carbohydrates. Why fight that?

Smith

barbaraadams
07-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I would love to get my husband to try atkins, but he was born and raised here in Alabama where every meal MUST have some form of bread whether it be cornbread (preferable) or white loaf bread. Then there are the potatoes, and he only likes them fried.
I would love to know if this works !
also if there are any substitutes for cornbread that have the same or very similar taste.

Inquiet
07-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Barbara: For myself, I have been dissatisfied with "mock" versions of foods. This is more because my mind is comparing them with the originals than it is a critique of the recipes.

Accepting vegetables on their own merits works better for me. Diced turnips fried in bacon grease is a great side dish. Sprinkled with some crisp, crumbled bacon, even better! Thinly sliced cabbage or quartered Brussels sprouts fried in bacon grease are among my newly discovered favorites.

smithkathyr
07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
smith`s think alike....I don`t like to call "just like stuffed baked potatoes" by that name, because to me it`s not at all like stuffed baked potatoes, but, it`s d@mn good cauliflower!
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/just_like_stuffed_baked_potatoes.html

Baylor
07-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Soaking potatoes does remove some excess starch and I think when cooked they have a better texture.. However It still needs to be tried at the right level and will not remove NC. They are still a high nc veggie and need to be treated with care.

If you add some heavy cream to your mashed Cauliflower, and cook it long enough and low enough with butter.. It does taste most like Mashed potatoes.. Good seasoning with salt and pepper too!

serea
07-11-2011, 09:42 AM
I so agree with "the smiths". I do not spend my time trying to copy the foods that simply are not good for me. I am instead, totally enjoying the acceptable veggies etc, on their own merits.

barbaraadams
07-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Oh I agree I have never been a big bread or potatoe eater , ever ... and my hubby loves all of the acceptable foods on the list *anything fried* is his favorite ... If only I could get him to give up those pesky potatoes and bread he would jump into atkins head first.

Inquiet
07-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Barbara: My husband doesn`t follow Atkins. He may not realize I do. I don`t talk about it. I do tell him that I`m not eating sugar and that I`m eating lower carb foods.

I only make potatoes, rice, or pasta for him when he mentions wanting it. I buy bread and rolls, put most of them in the freezer, and don`t serve them with meals. Many times he gets up and puts a slice of bread in the toaster to have with a meal. I don`t comment on that. He eats a lot fewer carbs when he has to take the initiative.

Smith

julia2011
07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.ehow.com/how_7885937_remove-starch-potatoes.html

kats612
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
barbara, my husband is born and bred Alabama also and he loves his "lightening" bread. AKA - white bread (for all of you non-Southeners, LOL!) And you could definitely call him a "meat & potatoes" kinda guy. But, we started this journey together in April for both weight and health reasons and he has not missed his bread or his potatoes. He is loving the weight he`s lost and he`s loving the food I`ve been cooking. Where in Bama do you live? We`re about 60 miles west of Montgomery.

LuvARiddle
07-11-2011, 09:46 PM
There are all sorts of crazy ideas for diabetics out there. When I was first diagnosed, someone told me I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I drank a tall glass of lemon water with it! Really!?!? Funny, the Diabetes Educator never mentioned that! Potatoes are really hard on a diabetic diet, even at 50 carbs per meal, you can`t hardly have potatoes. Don`t mourn them for Atkins` sake, mourn them for the diabetes. And try turnips!

I shredded and fried turnips with great trepidation. They were AWESOME! My hubby loved them too, we no longer miss hash browns. First time I`ve ever eaten turnips! We love the `fake` mashed potatoes too. I never dreamed cauliflower could taste so good! Mock, fake or whatever, they`re the best mashed taters I`ve had since I`ve been diabetic!

!

crystalm5703
07-11-2011, 09:59 PM
I know what yall mean about living in Alabama, I have lived here all my life and it can be hard when your entire family eats everything served with some type of potatoes, bread and starchy veggie. That does not include the corn bread and sweet milk for snack. I have tried the mock potatoes and they were pretty good. However, I have tried to keep things simple but I know that I will venture out and I will be able to find foods to replace those carb monster foods.

ljjh1
07-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Okay I don`t really like cauliflower, but I love these.

Mashed Cauliflower (Potatoes)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:
 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets (discard core and large stems)
 1 (14 ounces) can chicken or vegetable broth (or homemade - about 1-3/4 cups)
 2 Tbsp butter
 2 ounces cream cheese
 2 Tbsp sour cream
 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
 1/4 cup sliced green onions, white and green parts
 Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preparation:
Place cauliflower florets in a large saucepan. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until very tender, about 12 minutes. Drain thoroughly through a fine sieve and return to the pot over low heat. Cook about 2 more minutes to dry out excess moisture, stirring constantly. (It`s okay that they break apart.)

Pour cauliflower into food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add butter, cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onion, salt, and pepper. Pulse to combine. Reheat before serving, if necessary.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings