PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Atkins` Diet Revolution - 1972

DrDanno
07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Is there anyone following the original version of the Atkins Diet? I still have the book I purchased long ago with all of the notes that I have taken over the years.

There are quite a few differences between the website and the book. I am sticking with the book as it seems to be stricter and I have had the most success in the past.

I am planning on staying on Phase 1 for 2- 3 weeks before I add my first 5-8 g of carbohydrate. to the diet. So far I have lost 16 lbs. and I started on the first.

DanoJ
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
There are a few people that stick to the old version of ANA. However, the newer versions are different because of additional clinical experimentation and scientific study results that led the Atkins organization to tweak the program over the years. None of the changes were made for NO REASON, so, in that respect, you should buy the 2002 version. This is not to say one cannot lose weight on the 1972 version, but if you want to do it in a healthy way, and keep it off for life, the 2002 version is far superior. Atkins is no longer a weight loss regimen...it is now the Atkins Nutritional Approach (ANA), and is designed to improve your health while also making you svelt.

DanoJ
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Interesting screen name, BTW.

?manda4363?
07-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Congratulations on your weight loss that is wonderful...may I ask what will your 5-8 carbs be when you add them...do you eat veg...how much weight to lose until your goal...?

RebeccaLatham
07-13-2009, 10:06 AM
You might find this thread interesting - Old Atkins vs New Atkins:

http://community.atkins.com/discussions/viewTopic/p/topicId/3338903/Old_Atkins_vs_New_Atkins_Collette_.htm%3E

DanoJ
07-13-2009, 10:46 AM
This is the most salient portion of the novel that Rebecca just pointed you at.

about 23 days ago

Colette Heimowitz - NUTRITIONIST:

The only real changes to the diet are the vegetable recommendation. In the beginning it was 20 grams of total carbs, and it was recommended that most of those carbs come in the form of veggies. Then with the discovery that fiber had no impact on blood sugar, and we found people could eat more veggies without compromising success, we switched to net carbs.

This was done with Dr Atkins blessing in his last book called Atkins for Life. Then we found that people who ate the most veggies had the best chance of long term compliance with minimal side effects, thus the recommendation of 12 to 15 net carbs coming in the form of veggies.

Dr Atkins didn`t hesitate to modify the diet when clinical research or experience satisfied him that the need was there, and he encouraged and looked forward to well-designed research projects which questioned the precepts of the Atkins Diet, sometimes even funding them via his foundation.

While he was convinced of the rightness of his basic approach, he was always seeking better ways to implement it, and to make it easier for people to follow. You can see that by comparing the first and most-recent editions of DANDR.

I believe that he felt that every word in the latest edition was the last word on the subject UP UNTIL NOW, but like any true scientist, he was more than willing to modify any aspect of the diet in the light of new, well-planned and executed, legitimate clinical research or dispassionate real-world experience.

I think the whole evolution of the diet is a direct result of his intellectual honesty and pursuit of the truth.

Those who worked with him and who continue his work today have that same attitude, and I think that`s reflected in the most recent book, and the content on this Web site.

And finally, I think the last thing in the world he would have wanted was to see this turned into some kind of a cult where people debated endlessly over the meaning of each change in each edition of DANDR, and his followers split into factions based on which edition they clung to.

What he wanted was not for us to worship his footsteps or words. What he wanted was for us to eat healthy, and to live long, healthy, happy lives.

We can do that.

We can also adjust the program to suit our lifestyle and metabolim.That is the beauty of Atkins. It is so powerful it can be stretched and pulled to suit what our bodies dictate (to a certain extent).

I think the folks who lost weight on 2 cups of veggies in the good old days, and are having difficulty now with more vegetables, thier difficulty may have more to do with the impact losing weight and gaining weight back, and less to do with how many veggies. There is also the fact of being older than our first attempt.

However, is someone wants to experiment with less veggie that is OK too, as long as they don`t use those extra carbs on crappy food and the mainstay of carb intake are vegetables. It is better if people learn on their own.Those people would need to add more veggies up the carb ladder rather than jump to berries.

Last but not least, the real battle against overweight and obesity is not ONLY weight loss, but keeping the weight off once it is lost. If an individual loses all their weight in Induction, and never goes beyond 3 cups of veggies, the chances of them keeping the weight off is far less likely.

So for those individuals who choose to eat less vegetables, just know that there may be consequences, and do it short term only. Move up the ladder with more veggies until you reach the minimum of 12 net to 15 net before you add any other carb.

DrDanno
07-13-2009, 11:00 AM
IN phase 2 I usually use cottage cheese or riccota cheese because that is easy. I somtimes make the diet revolution cheese cake when I am adventurous.

Of course I continue to monitor my appetite, my sense of well being as well as my ketone output to make sure I do notmy CCL. I also expect to continue to loose but not just at the same rate as the first phase.

DrDanno
07-24-2009, 08:00 AM
I checked my scale this AM and am now down 20#. This is good, but I have not yet hit my second milestone although I approaching that. I will continue on induction until I can knock off several milestones.

scancun
07-26-2009, 01:37 PM
DanoJ said:
_"This is not to say one cannot lose weight on the 1972 version, but if you want to do it in a healthy way, and keep it off for life, the 2002 version is far superior."_

I`m following the most recent one (2008). What are the differences with that and the 2002 version?