PDA

View Full Version : Atkins vs Weight Watchers

sherryb252
01-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Hello everyone, I just have a quick question, hoping someone out there has switched over and how it has worked out. I have been on WW for 9 - 10 weeks and have only lost 8.8 lbs. I am happy for the loss, but I really want more loss and more food! Seems lately I am ALWAYS hungry! Drives me nuts. Is there anyone out there that has switched over, which is better and why?? Thanks a bunch!

babyweight2010
01-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I was on WW for almost 3 months, lost 11 pounds, was obsessive about food, ate cr@p until I hit my points and then starved. Weigh-ins were depression days, because I just knew I would either be up, be the same or on a good week be down point-something pounds.
I`ve been on Atkins a little over 3 months, have lost 34 pounds, am never hungry and besides preparing my meals, I don`t give food a second thought. I love this way of eating and am glad I found my way back.

suezeb
01-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I tried WW last winter, with the end result that instead of having 15 pounds to lose I had 23...That is strictly anecdotal. I was like you, hungry and grumpy. In August I went back on Induction (phase 1) and lost all the weight, plus some, and got happy again. I didn`t understand why, until I watch the movie "Fathead" on Hulu this afternoon. Low fat, low calorie diets starve our brains of fuel, causing us to be depressed. I will stick with Atkins for the rest of my life and be thin AND happy! I hope you`ll really give this a fair trial. Get rid of the low cal, low fat mindset, read the lessons on here under "Learn Atkins":
http://community.atkins.com/courses/overview/p/courseId/20165/Phase_1_An_Introduction_to_Induction.htm?courseSes sionId=22733&campusId=5201
Good luck! I hope you`ll come back to the forums with any questions.

sherryb252
01-27-2011, 05:45 PM
WOW!!! Is all I can say! You are doing great, and that is what I need to hear! You are right, weigh ins are VERY depressive! Can you give me some ideas of what YOU ate in Phase 1 and even now? Sorry for bugging, but I need help! My baby boy is getting married May 28th and I want to look better than I do now..THANK YOU!

Barb-aka-figjam
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Focus on the food, on eating according to plan, and the weight loss will come. I have done WW, I have my lifetime pin, but could not bear the thought of continuing eating that way for life. Most people do not even realize I have been on a weight loss journey, they just notice I`m almost 35 lbs skinnier than I was last summer.

I`m a slow loser, maybe a lb a week, but that`s ok. I`m in no hurry to get to the end of my diet, since I`m not dieting. I`m happy with the type and the quantity of food I am allowed, what`s not to love?

Baylor
01-27-2011, 05:56 PM
I started with WW and I lost 12 lbs and gained and lost them.. I found ways to use my points for all kinds of cr@p..

I did that for about a month..

I gave up. Came back to ww and lost 12 pounds the first 2 weeks and 17 lbs within 21 days.. And then it just keep coming off. I had steak and butter, and all kinds of great veggies with butter and olive oil, cheesecake, coffee with real cream..

It is no contest.

FormerMember
01-27-2011, 05:56 PM
I`ve done WW twice. It was so very unsustainable for me because it`s low fat and low Calorie, leaving me both hungry and unsatisfied with meals.

Suezeb said it all. Low fat, low Calorie = unhealthy.

babyweight2010
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
My typical day was:

Breakfast
2 eggs scrambled in 1T butter
Enough grams of onion and tomatoes to get to between 4-5 net carbs
Coffee with 1 tsp heavy whipping cream

Lunch
5 ounces of no sugar added rotisserie chicken
2T mayo
1tsp mustard
Enough grams of cucumbers to get between 4-5 net carbs

Snack
red peppers - usually only 2-3 carbs worth
cream cheese or sour cream 1-2T, depending on what I was planning for dinner

Dinner
5 ounces of some sort of meat - ground beef, chicken, pork, shrimp usually in a stir fry with onions, garlic, olive oil, peppers.

I mix up my veggies, eating jicama, sugar snap peas, celery, etc. Not much lettuce, but sometimes a big salad at lunch with lots of veggies. I use Fatsecret to track all my foods. I used to put all of my veggies in the Snack section, so I could make sure I was getting enough every day. I tried to spread out my veggies as equally throughout the day as I could. Since I`ve moved to OWL, I`ve kept a lot of that the same, but have added some net carbs. Sometimes in the form of a new food, like blueberries, raspberries, almond flour, peanut butter, etc. Sometimes it`s just more veggies. I`m still working my way through the rungs and finding how food works for me.

You can totally do this and it`s so much more satisfying!

sherryb252
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Thank you all for your input, I think I am really going to give it a try this time, I can`t stand being hungry, grumpy and always wondering how many points I have left and how much Zumba or Wii Fit I have to do to have 3 more points for the day! Any pointers for food during the first 2 weeks?

You all are GREAT!

FormerMember
01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
_Any pointers for food during the first 2 weeks?_

Yes! Read the lessons for phase 1. http://community.atkins.com/sessions/overview/p/courseSessionId/22733/Phase_1_An_Introduction_to_Induction.htm?courseId= 20165&campusId=5201

Within the lessons you will find the approved foods for induction list. Print it out and take it shopping with you. Eat any foods you like from this list. Make sure to eat within the parameters drawn out in the lessons. You will do fine! You`ll enjoy actually getting to eat and enjoy real food!

JoreyTK
01-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Sherryb252,

I highly recommend you go out and buy yourself a copy of the latest Atkins book called `A new Atkins for a new you`

Take the time to read it an truly understand this way of eating. The website is a good supplement but the book gives you all the information you need.

Good luck!

sherryb252
01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks JoreyTK! Will do ..

coco66
01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I think Baylor meant she came back to Atkins, not WW

As for tips, just eat whole foods. Try not to rely on Atkins bars or sugar free goodies to get you through. The first two weeks are tough, but it sets you up for success.

Melissa B.
01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I`ve joined WW more times than I can count or care to admit. I don`t usually last more than a couple weeks. I agree that something about it makes you obsess about food... probably the perpetual state of hunger. I was never satisfied, and was never rewarded for the sacrifices with much weight loss. Welcome to Atkins!

RebeccaLatham
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I am a Lifetime Member of Weight Watchers.

:0}

The last time I went to a meeting was six years ago, and I`m pretty sure I was starving, freezing cold and losing muscle instead of fat while I was in that room. Of course, I was starving, freezing and losing muscle instead of fat the whole time I did WW.

I eat almost double the food now that I did on WW and I am satisfied, warm and losing fat and gaining muscle.

Click on my picture to see a few links about my weight loss.

KimHardesty
01-27-2011, 07:24 PM
So glad you are giving Atkins a try! I have to say that I truly believe that WW works for some people. For me, it was not the answer. I tried WW at least 6 times - 5 times joining a group at the WW center and once on-line by myself. Each time, I would lose about 7-12 pounds in a few months and then give-up. I NEVER once lost 10% of my body weight. I would count points obsessively, work out like a fiend, I was ALWAYS hungry and then towards the end, start figuring out how many cookies, chocolate chips or what other cr@p I could have for my point allotment. Also, I was ALWAYS pi$$ed-off about having LESS POINTS as I lost weight!!!! Wait, you mean I lost 10 pounds and now I get to eat less?!?!?!???????

For me Atkins has been the easiest plan to follow ever! I am almost NEVER hungry. I had a bit of a learning curve because I was so used to making every thing as low fat/low cal/high fiber as I could. I had to buy a low carb cook book to change my mindset. Now, I use recipes that members have posted here, others that I have found on-line and others that I have adapted on my own.

I never have felt deprived with this way of eating. I don`t miss the bread or the pasta. (BTW, I do have an occasional piece of low carb bread and I do have Dream Field`s Pasta about once a month) I have more "treats" now than I ever did before. With my old way of eating, I was always denying myself things because I was afraid to gain MORE weight. The restricted way I was eating led to binging and I just got fatter and fatter and fatter....

On Atkins, I eat wonderful fresh vegetables and a variety of meats, cheeses and eggs. And, fresh fruit has become a new experience! I enjoy it so much more than before and a perfect ripe berry is so much more satisfying than the old junk I used to crave. I also enjoy low carb muffins, cake, cheesecake, cookies and crackers that I make from coconut flour, flax seed or ground almonds. I eat these things with out guilt because I know the nutrition in these items is much superior to what I always wanted but never let myself have (except in a binge).

I LOVE Atkins and will eat this way forever as long as I am able to cook for myself or order off of a menu in a restaurant. My kids are reaping the benifits, too. Who`s kids ask for double vegetables at dinner or are happy to have meatballs with tomato sauce and broccoli for lunch? I give them grape tomatoes for a snack and they jump up and down with excitement.

I hope you give Atkins an honest chance. I think you will find that a life with fewer carbs is a lot easier and more enjoyable (and healthier) than previously thought. Good luck and enjoy!

sherryb252
01-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Thank you KimHardesty! I am going to give it a shot, and really put forth the effort.

RebeccaLatham
01-27-2011, 08:10 PM
_I have to say that I truly believe that WW works for some people._

I wonder about that. From what I have read, low calorie diets tend to burn muscle in addition to fat. So, yeah, it "works" if all you go by is the number on the scale. But losing muscle is not "working" in my way of thinking.

Also, low calorie diets are not sustainable. They are so restrictive, and people are so hungry, that they just can`t stay with it long term.

At least, that is what I have heard, and I know that it was my personal experience.

Susan936
01-28-2011, 06:56 AM
I have never tried WW but there is a lady in my condo building that is one of their guides. She says that many people are not happy to give up flour and sugar for ever. They have a real problem about never having say birthday cake or pasta and WW lets you have anything you want in moderation. So from a psychological view she may be right but from a physiological view she is not going by those that have tried both.

cindacinny
01-28-2011, 08:02 AM
I lost 20 lbs on WW but was ALWAYS starving and excercising like crazy just to get a few extra points. I remember my dad had to lose weight and the doctor gave him a specific diet to try. It the doctors version of low carb. It worked for him and that`s when I started doing my own reasearch and found out about Atkins. I`m never hungry and feel better than I ever have. I hope you join us, I think you`ll be very happy. Let us know if you need help. Good Luck!

cin

sherryb252
01-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks cindacinny, I do believe I am going to start on Monday. We are moving this weekend, and that is a chore right by itself..ugh! I have semi tried this before but it seemed all I ate was chicken and cheese, so I got bored. Now, I know there is so much more out there that you can eat, just gotta figure it out. I also have to get my mind "reworked" as far as veggies. On ww now, all fruits and most veggies are "free", so I gotta figure out the carbs for my favorites such as cabbage, green beans and broccoli. I am SURE I will need help, even with reading the info on the lessons and the book, sometimes it is easier to hear from others on the same page. Thanks again! BTW, how have you done so far? Pound wise?

Susan936
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I don`t think it is about how many pounds you can drop but whether or not it is sustainable for you. If there is a battle going on between hunger and will power - hunger will win (unless you are being fed by a third party and forced into the diet). The secret is to get your hormones working properly so that you are not hungry. For most of us that takes about 4 days but it might be longer.

Basically a high carb food raises your blood sugar and then you secret insulin to lower that blood sugar. However the insulin often does its job so well that your blood sugar drops and low blood sugar triggers hunger. The cycle repeats itself unless it is broken. If you imagine a graph of blood sugar levels, then someone on a high carb diet has a zigzag pattern. The lower levels are when you are ravenous if you are only ever 2 or 3 hours away from a high carb meal/snack/drink that is what your graph looks like.

Someone on Atkins has a gentle arc that rises a bit and then tapers off a few hours later when the next meal/snack is anticipated. You arrive at you next meal with an appetite but would not be going crazy if you had to wait a while.

KimHardesty
01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Mmmmmm Birthday cake! I made a *wonderful* birthday cake with coconut flour! I make cake, coffee cake, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pancakes, cheesecakes, crackers, trail mix bars, creme brule, pies - almost any treat you could want. I make it high fiber and sugar-free. I eat low carb bread from time to time and enjoy pasta every once in a while. I am not missing a thing!

The only things I really don`t eat are potatoes, rice, regular pasta, beans and other starches, sugars and some fruits.

I DO miss *real* pizza. I can approximate the taste, but not the crust. I may try to make a crust with resistant wheat and see what happens.

In any case... I think the argument that WW may be better because you can eat anything you want is weak. That is what got me in trouble with the ww plan. You can eat a lot of fat-free cookies, flat out wraps, high fiber tortillas or baked potato chips to equal 25 points. This always got me in trouble with WW. I like the structure with Atkins. Turns out that my body was a fat storing machine because of all of the "whole grains" (read _carbohydrates_) I was trying to eat. I always ate veggies, but most of my diet consisted of high fiber bread products, grains veggies and beans. It wasn`t the answer for me. For some it may... But, I think that the argument that Atkins is too hard because you can`t eat bread and pasta is.....well, like I said, "weak".

timeandagain
01-28-2011, 12:27 PM
WW was also something I tried and didn`t work for me. I used to feel very out of control with food, like I`d last all day eating "right" and then totally binge at night, next day wake up thinking I`d do better only to repeat. This is the first time in as long as I can remember that I don`t obsess about food, I don`t over eat, I don`t binge, it`s like finaly being at peace. I`ve even gotten so far past the cravings that there have been cupcakes, peanutbrittle, coffee cake in the lunch room for the past week and I haven`t touched it. So for me Atkins isn`t just weight loss, it`s sanity.
Carrie

KimHardesty
01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Sherry- What helped me change my brain to think carbs and not points was writing down the carb counts of 1 ounce of my favorite veggies (salad and dinner) and then keeping it taped to the cupboard door for fast viewing. I could weigh and then calculate quickly. I also had to buy a low carb cook book to help me out. Cooking low fat/high fiber/low calorie was EASY! Changing how I thought out my meals was a little daunting for me at first. Also, I found that "automating" as many of my meals was easier when I was starting out. I made a quiche for myself (or a cheesecake) to last the whole week and ate that for breakfast. I ate a salad every day with veggies and protein and then I only had to think about dinner. With two small kids and preparing 5 meals a day, this helped me a lot!

Good luck on your move and on your start with Atkins. As you can see, we are all full of ideas, opinions, advice and knowledge.

Truemans_Mom
01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I lost 65 pounds on WW a few years ago. Gained some back, went back, couldn`t stay on the program. All that logging points drove me crazy and I could not see living like that the rest of my life.
Now, with Atkins I track but I know when I get to Maintenance I will have learned what I can eat and not eat and not track everything for the rest of my life. I am losing slowly because I have other issues I am working on but I am NOT starving and it is helping my health to eat this way.
The key is to find a program that you can live with the rest of your life. *This* is it for me.
Jan D.

RebeccaLatham
01-28-2011, 12:35 PM
_If there is a battle going on between hunger and will power - hunger will win (unless you are being fed by a third party and forced into the diet). The secret is to get your hormones working properly so that you are not hungry._

I agree.

I would like to add something to that. There have been trials done where they _have,_ in effect, locked people in rooms and "forced" them to diet with low fat/high carb foods. Even though the calories are being lowered, it does not mean the people lost weight. Or sometimes they lose weight, but it is just as much from muscle as it is from fat.

Sometimes they even _gain_ fat, even though they are forced to eat fewer calories.

_I don`t think it is about how many pounds you can drop but whether or not it is sustainable for you._

And for those subjects, it was not sustainable anyway. When allowed to go back to regular eating, they ate even more and gained fat, because their metabolisms had been so damaged.

Any way you look at it, it is not healthy!

sherryb252
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Thank you to all for your help and encouragement! KIM - Can you please tell me how to make the cake or cupcakes? I know eventually I am going to want some. Thanks!

Wahoowa96-Brandon
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
You`re in luck with green beans and broccoli being favorites. I know off the top of my head because I eat them so much that green beans are 2 nc per half cup (libby`s canned green beans). Broccoli is also very low in NC. BIG BONUS: cheese and butter on the broccoli is not only ok, it is recommended. Cook those beans with some bacon (not yucky turkey bacon, but honest to goodness swine) or some ham hock and go to town! So much better than fake low point butter spread that melts to look like water.

pamntexas
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Another plus with Atkins WOE is you lose inches!!! It is awesome.

KimHardesty
01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
@Sherry - Yes, I can and will. I bought a Coconut Flour Cookbook by Bruce Fife(?). I buy the coconut flour in the bulk bin at my local health food store but you can also buy it on-line. To make 6 muffins, you only need 2 T of coconut flour or so. For a whole cake 3/4-1 cup. I find that using a 6" cake pan gives the best results for a layer cake. For and everyday snack, I bake it in a 9x11 glass pan. I will also include the recipe for a chocolate cake made with black soy beans. Again, I buy them at the health food store, but you can find them on-line, too.

I don`t have my recipe books handy, so I will include them a little later. BTW, BOTH OF THE RECIPES ARE SUITABLE FOR OWL AND NOT INDUCTION. Actually, I will put them in the recipe topic and label them appropriately. -Kim

sherryb252
01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Thank you Brandon for the veggie counts and thanks Kim for the recipes, can`t wait! And thanks to ALL of you for your input and help!