PDA

View Full Version : Carb overload??

cluckerduckie
05-08-2010, 02:20 AM
I have a question about carb overloading. Me and my boyfriend have been on the Atkins diet-phase 1 for 3 weeks. My stepdad has been on the diet for years and told us that after a few weeks, to take a weekend off and eat whatever you want to kick start your metabolism. Well...We took his advice and I think I may be experiancing some carb overload. I feel bloated and really nauseated after having eggo waffles for breakfast...pizza for lunch and I made spaghetti for dinner. Could my body be so used to being on the diet that it makes itself sick when there is tooo much carbs?

KathyOG
05-08-2010, 02:35 AM
I had a similar feeling yesterday after taking a day off Adkins and have decided it just isn`t worth it.

merryone
05-08-2010, 03:44 AM
Clucken, in a word; yes.

Many experience precisely those symptoms after a carb overload...and it takes a few days for the body to regain it`s state of ketosis and equilibrium.

rhobo
05-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Yes, in a word!!! Carb overload makes you feel sluggish and bloated, and I know that it takes me a few days to get over it. It becomes an educated choice after a while cos you know how you`re going to feel afterwards and if you still do it, that`s your choice!!

I did it yesterday - had some Haribo sweets at work that I really should have said no to, then ended up with a cake I found at home and then 2 vodka and tonics. I didn`t even enjoy it..... (apart from the vodka heehee). This morning I have a headache. Serves me right. But now I`ve admitted it and we`re back on asparagus and bacon for breakfast!

rhobo
05-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Ha Merryone - we were posting at the same time! Same message!!

StarAngel
05-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Carb overloading is a myth. The only thing it does is make you sick, kicks you out of ketosis takes a few days to get back in to burn fat again. So, you lose time that you could have been losing. It kicks cravings back in and leads to more cheats. Simply put, its not good for you or your metabolism. I feel so good eating whole foods, I have no desire to going back to junk. Sorry LOL off my soapbox for now. :)

quietwife
05-08-2010, 01:17 PM
What your describing is how I felt before Atkins WOE all the time. I never want to back to feeling that way. I`m not sure why people feel going back to poor eating for a weekend is benificial? A good learning experience, though.

FormerMember
05-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Clucker, why would you inhibit or destroy your weight loss for a week so you can carb load when all you have to do to "kickstart" your metabolism is to eat higher fat foods and walk a little bit? No you don`t have to go `off` the diet every other week as that does nothing to teach you how to maintain once you start adding carb items later on in phase 2 or 3 or 4.

JudiGirl
05-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Wow, lots of good advice here. I slipped too (vodka and diet tonic)then came other carbs, cos I thought eating them would jumpstart my metabolism. HAH, I felt sick and lethargic. Back to the burn.

Myosmith
05-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Any time you make drastic changes to your diet you can expect to not feel well. Even when starting Atkins, many people take a few days to adjust. You didn`t just add a few carbs, you went carb crazy. Toaster waffles (syrup?), pizza crust, and regular pasta, all in the same day, straight out of the most carb restrictive stage of Atkins. If you want to occassionally add more carbs, consider something more along the lines of a small bowl of oatmeal with your eggs for breakfast, or a small sweet potato with dinner.

Like some have already said, there may be no reason at all to take "carb holidays". With all of the research Atkins has done, if they were a good idea, they would probably be included in the program.