PDA

View Full Version : NEW HOT DRINK, ATKINS-APPROVED!!!

MimiDiet
09-27-2011, 05:09 PM
*NEW HOT DRINK, ATKINS-APPROVED!!!*

This recipe is even fine even if you have to watch your cream intake!

I only like coffee with a LOT of cream. Alas, combining that with the other foods I like to put dairy products in slowed my weight loss :( Sadness. (However, cutting that out has speeded it up again!!!

Tea is a nice sub, but today I wanted something with a few calories & a little more body. Too soon for a meal, but just wanted a hot, *RICH* beverage. Like a cappuccino or something.

While eyeing my Atkins Advantage Cafe Caramel shake (which I really like, btw), and thinking, surely I can have this, if others can have their "little" cream in coffee. But how can I have it in a HOT drink?

I toyed with the idea of using the shake AS my creamer in my coffee. But I had tried that with the vanilla shake, & didn`t care for it.

SO!!! I tried having the shake itself HOT. No, I didn`t heat the whole thing...

My shake was room temp in the cupboard, so I *heated about 1/3 cup of water & filled the mug the rest of the way with Cafe Caramel shake. :) That in itself was pretty good, but then I punched it up with 1/2 tsp (+/-) of instant coffee, a drop of EZ-Sweetz, and a big spoonful of Nutiva Coconut Oil.*

NOW THAT WAS YYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

It is as good as any cappuccino mix I`ve ever bought, and I think a little better. And certainly no guilt and no sugar!!! PLUS metabolism-boosting coconut oil!

Now I have a satisfying winter drink, and it even has some protein in it! I estimate I used less than half of the shake, so there are maybe 6 or 7 g protein in this, and 1.5 g carbs.

If you use the powdered splenda, you`d need to add that to the carb count.

The instant coffee enriches the coffee taste (since it gets diluted by the water), and the CO adds sweetness without carbs! :D

Highly recommend, when it`s one of those cappuccino nights (or days!) :D

MimiDiet
09-27-2011, 05:12 PM
I should also mention that I have the Advantage shakes almost every day, with NO stalling or evident slow-down on my weight loss, though so many other things do slow me down. In fact, the Advantage shakes are a low-cal way to get a big dose of protein when I`m in a hurry, and a great snack, as well.

*Do not* make the mistake of lumping in the shakes with the bars, if the bars stall you. The bars have *sugar alcohols,* which stall many people, but *the shakes have NO sugar alcohols.* :) So I find them a great tool that really supports my weight loss!

turtlewinks
09-29-2011, 12:46 AM
A friend recently gave me one of these....I put some ice in a blender, added the shake and some whip cream and had my frappucino....HEAVEN!!!

Now I need to go to a store that sells them:-))

catsknit
09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes, I like to put a cafe mocha shake in the blender with some leftover coffee and ice. haven`t tried it hot yet!

MimiDiet
09-29-2011, 12:02 PM
This is with the Cafe Caramel. I like the mocha one, but I like the Cafe Caramel even better! :)

Zookeeper2011
09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
That sounds delicious. I love Che cafe caramel, and will have to try it hot now.

MimiDiet
09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Zookeeper, I hope you like it! :) Do you have coconut oil?

Was also wondering about your name...is that for the pets you keep, a real zoo you work at, or a non-literal "real zoo" at home? lol

MimiDiet
09-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Turtlewinks...that sounds really good! I`ll have to try that when I`m off MOVE & can have cream again.

Did you add (liquid) heavy cream, or cream that was actually whipped? Do you know about how much?

MimiDiet
09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
catsknit...you knit, too? I don`t often, but I do love it!! :)

About how much coffee & how much shake do you put in your blender for your icy mocha version?

goal80
09-29-2011, 04:45 PM
That sounds good and creative. I think that`s the Idea recreate , don`t do w/o

MimiDiet
09-29-2011, 04:50 PM
ydnew, I like that. It`s very true.

Have you been to Peggy`s site? She`s a fabulous cook & does a lot of that...reinventing & recreating:

buttoni.wordpress.com

That girl has actually got me cooking new stuff--before finding her recipes, I didn`t really like to cook _at all,_ let alone cook new things!

Now I know it`ll turn out great, so I look forward to trying her recipes. Pretty amazing.

GenaW has great recipes, too.

MimiDiet
09-29-2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

askwhy456akaLinda
09-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Oh you have all gotten me craving one of these now!!! Iced coffee drinks are my ultimate weakness/vice and tasty hot ones a close second!!!

Thanks for starting this Miss Mimi!

MimiDiet
09-29-2011, 05:05 PM
:) Aw, you`re welcome, Linda! Nice to know you like it!

I was just thinking, with cooler weather coming, it`s nice to have an arsenal of YUMMY warm drinks and not feel or be deprived.

I started gearing up on my Thanksgiving recipes today, too...I am not usually a planner but I keep seeing low-carb pumpkin recipes & it got my wheels turning, and I KNOW it will take me some time to figure out.

Also listing what I will be able to cook ahead, as my MIL is coming. She can`t have gluten, so a lot of our foods can overlap. :)

askwhy456akaLinda
09-29-2011, 06:05 PM
It`s like using pretty ramekins for my little treats... It makes it feel more like an indulgence! I think I might have to make myself a nice mocha frappe (I will have to stop into WM to purchase some of the cafe carmel shakes!) and drink it out of one of my pretty goblets..... Makes it seem so much more special that way!

turtlewinks
09-29-2011, 11:38 PM
I used real whipped cream....just swirled across the top:-)

I also saw where people were putting a can of coconut milk in the frig and then scimming the top part off, it whips up quickly! A lil coconut cream to go with it too:-))

OK - I`m heading to bimart tomorrow...that`s where my friend got hers..

ANGIE43
09-29-2011, 11:50 PM
I make a yummy iced coffee that could be heated as well, fresh ground double shot expresso, sugar free vanilla syrup, 3tbs cream, top up with cold water put in shaker chill overnite in fridge, very nice

askwhy456akaLinda
09-30-2011, 09:58 AM
All these tasty suggestions... where do I start?? lol

askwhy456akaLinda
10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Okay ... I`ve had the cafe caramel shakes for two days now in my cupboard and today`s the day!! I`m home with my 4 yo... He was sick sick sick yesterday so I kept him home today as well. Unfortunately with my MIL taking care of her husband who had bypass surgery two weeks ago that means I have to stay home from work. Oh well. There are worse ways to spend those vacation days than with my wonderful son!!!

I can`t wait to try this!!!!!

MimiDiet
10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
*Linda,* I love the idea of the goblet--also celebrates having something so yummy on plan. :) :)

*Angie,* how do you make the double shot espresso? Is it a certain coffee, or process, or what? Sorry, I only ever buy espresso or doubleshot, & Starbucks` doubleshot it way too loaded with carbs...so I`d love some help.

Can you break it down for the totally uninitiated? :)I love espresso, but unfortunately with too much cream to not stall!! lol!! But if I can learn how you`re doing this, I can make tiny cups and have less as a special treat....Ohhh, so special. :D

ANGIE43
10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi Mimi, im from Australia so maybe its different over here, a double shot is 2 shots of black coffee very strong , I add cream and cold water , sugar free syrup to taste and chill, its yummy :)

MimiDiet
10-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Two shots, as in two shot glasses full? :D

MimiDiet
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
I will try it!!! :D

ANGIE43
10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I think so its a small amount of strong coffee, maybe you might know of it as a short black ?

MimiDiet
10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
No, we have espresso & brand-name Doubleshot (canned, by Starbucks) here, I`m just not coffee-savvy. :) I`d never heard of doubleshot before it came out in cans, so I thought it was a brand-name exclusive, lol. :)

I just make strong coffee at home...no special machinery, just good, strong coffee.

My favorite brand & style of coffee (Folgers Black Silk) has changed in the past year...all Folgers seems to have gotten *bitter,* esp when you like it strong.

I don`t know what they changed, but I sure wish they hadn`t. :(

ANGIE43
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
hehehe, know wonder we get confused, same words , different meanings :)

MimiDiet
10-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Angie, I can gauge my willpower/mindset for the day, by looking at your jelly beans. :) If they look good, I`m vulnerable, & it`s time for some sweetened tea (with splenda) or a pumpkin fluff...some kind of treat. If they look like, "ugh, a mouthful of sugar, yuck," then I`m okay. LOL! :)

askwhy456akaLinda
10-06-2011, 05:45 PM
The drink was wonderful Mimi! My DH wandered in while I was making it and immediately asked if I was making one for him too!! Perfection!!!

ANGIE43
10-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Glad I can help lol , I dont like jelly beans at all :)

MimiDiet
10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Angie--why don`t you plop up a picture of a yummy steak, then. lol

MimiDiet
10-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Linda--so glad! Isn`t it great to gave a hot drink that`s substantial? And because I cut it almost in half with water & add the coffee & CO, I get two drinks out of each Atkins shake! Hubby loves it...and I think it`s the CO he`s loving.

I got very tired of the taste of CO, but in this, WOW. :D

MimiDiet
10-07-2011, 11:32 AM
*have

askwhy456akaLinda
10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Mimi- Hubby has adopted my love for coffee/coffee drinks so splitting a shake works perfectly for us! I`ve been drinking my coffee in the mornings with just a little ez sweet and CO and have found that the CO replaces cream/creamer perfectly. Hubby was skeptical but he`s become a believer! If I add a touch of cream to it it`s almost like a cappucino! Your drink replaces the cream (which I have to be careful to not use too much as I like it in my eggs as well!) and is almost like a dessert!!

MimiDiet
10-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Linda...that`s what I like about it, too. I get a shot of protein from it, I don`t use up a cream allotment I could use elsewhere (well, maybe half a fraction of one...idk...there is a little cream in the shake but total calories are so low it can`t be much), and I get flavor & sweetness without my ten tons of heavy cream in my coffee (which is the way I like it, so gave that up...too much cream!)

This seems to work & since it adds protein & almost no calories, as well as satisfying my appetite and desire for dessert occasionally, it really works! All that for, what--80 calories + CO?

MimiDiet
10-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Sometimes I only use 1/3 of the shake, & it`s even lower in calories! Tho that`s not a goal, just the size of the cup. lol ;)

MimiDiet
10-08-2011, 12:54 AM
I`m finding it`s best with a huge gob of CO...at _least_ a full tablespoon in a regular coffee cup. :D

Does anyone else have any input or tweaks?

askwhy456akaLinda
10-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Mimi- I honestly couldn`t even imagine drinking my coffee with oil in it of any kind when I first read it on here but once I finally tried it I`ve been hooked ever since. I never dreamed it would replace cream/creamer but it does!

MimiDiet
10-13-2011, 03:06 PM
bump

MimiDiet
10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
NEW HOT DRINK--YUM! MOVE-APPROVED

*Hot Chocolate Mint Royale*

1/2 carton Atkins Adv. "Dark Chocolate Royale" shake
1/2 C boiling water
3-4 drops peppermint extract
(optional: 1 rounded tsp instant coffee granules)
(Optional: 1 rounded tbsp coconut oil)
Liquid Splenda to taste

I found that using both peppermint extract and coffee required more splenda than I`d prefer to use--the equiv of 3 packets! Next time I`ll try omitting the coffee so I can use less splenda. Was tired today & needed a pick-me-up! :D

ijedic
10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Sounds really good Mimi :)

MimiDiet
10-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Hey, girlfriend! :D Good to see you on the threads! :D

askwhy456akaLinda
10-18-2011, 06:45 AM
OOOOHHHHHHHH! Mimi I think you have found a new talent: inventing truly inspired drinks!! This one sounds soooooo yummy! I think it sounds perfect with all of the options included!!!!! Hmmm... I have peppermint... need to pick up some dark choc royale shakes next trip to WM!!

kayaktam
10-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Can`t wait to try these two drinks! I added some CO to my coffee this am and mixed it up with this little motorized wisk I have. Will have to run out and grab some shakes.

askwhy456akaLinda
10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Kayaktam - Did the oil stay mixed when you used the wisk? I find I have to stir it up each time I take a sip or I end up slurping warm CO and no coffee!

MimiDiet
10-18-2011, 11:40 AM
kayaktam...make sure they are the "Advantage" shakes--the ones with the aluminum tab on top...not the screwtop kind. The screwtop ones (Daybreak, I think) have 1/3 less protein & for some reason--in spite of the fiber in them--just don`t seem to fill me up or hold me as long as I`d like.

You may find they`re different for you, but I prefer the 15g of protein to 10. :D

MimiDiet
10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
I find the CO mixes a little better with thick shakes than with hot, liquid coffee, and the hot drinks fall somewhere between the two.

Since I use virgin CO, it gives a great taste. Wouldn`t want to do that with the refined, tasteless kind. :) I just keep a spoon in my drink. :D

MimiDiet
10-18-2011, 11:43 AM
*I have found a way to make the Cafe Lattes good hot!*

:) I am thinking, though, that the recipe I came up with might be even better with the dark chocolate royale shake...will keep experimenting & let you know what I come up with!

Suffice it to say that my morning Hot Atkins drink this morning was _yummy_ and very different!

Will keep you posted as I experiment & settle on one! :D

Cracklinrose
10-19-2011, 04:05 AM
Yummy, can`t wait to try these!

askwhy456akaLinda
10-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Keep `em coming Mimi!!!!

MimiDiet
10-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Okay, I am just going to let you guys decide which shake is better in this:

*TEXAS SHEET CAKE CHOCOLATE DRINK*

- 1/2 carton _either_ Mocha Latte or Dark Chocolate Royale

- 1/2 cup boiling water

- 1 generous tablespoon virgin coconut oil (with taste, not the refined kind)

- Splenda to taste

- READY FOR THIS?? 2-3 drops CINNAMON EXTRACT! ( _the_ ingredient that makes a TX sheet cake not just another cake!)

- (optional) 1 rounded tsp instant coffee granules

Mix, drink, and melt with joy.... :D

MimiDiet
10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
(that`s half of your cup for the water, not nec`ly half a measuring cup cup. lol)

askwhy456akaLinda
10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Okay I`m going to try this one Mimi IF it will still taste okay with refined - TASTELESS- CO. I just can`t stand the taste of regular coconut so..... But the thought of coffee, cinnamon and chocolate sounds heavenly!

MimiDiet
10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Linda...I don`t like CO plain, either, but in drinks I don`t taste it as coconut per se.

You can always try the Spectrum CO at Walmart...they have one that is somehow labeled both "virgin" and "refined."

??

ijedic
10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I noticed that about the Spectrum at Walmart. I bought it, but it has no taste.

I really like the virgin CO in green tea. It somehow takes away some of the bitterness.

I`ve got to get to Walmart soon to try out these yummy hot drinks recipes!

MimiDiet
10-26-2011, 01:07 PM
*HOLIDAY RECIPE ANNOUNCEMENT!*

We all know there are TONS of "low-carb" recipes out there...but which ones are really GOOD?

Let`s pool our knowledge & experience and disarm some holiday landmines with good, low-carb eating!! :D

Here is a new thread for favorite holiday DESSERTS:
http://community.atkins.com/discussions/viewTopic/p/topicId/7245442/Favorite_LC_Holiday_Recipes_Desserts.htm

Here is the thread for favorite holiday SIDE DISHES:
http://community.atkins.com/discussions/viewTopic/p/topicId/7245445/Favorite_LC_Holiday_Recipes_Side_Dishes.htm

Please feel free to post the dishes you`ve tried and like/love, & to comment on the dishes posted by others as you try them. We need to keep the chat down, so we can find thes recipes during the busy holidays! :D (I`ll try, I`ll try!)

This will involve a lot of cutting & pasting from other sites, at times, but it will be worth it to have all the holiday-type goodies in one place, not just suggestions, but *PROVEN* ones. :D

MimiDiet
10-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Just added a thread for favorite holiday MAIN DISHES:

http://community.atkins.com/discussions/viewTopic/p/topicId/7245501/Favorite_LC_Holiday_Recipes_MAIN_DISHES.htm