PDA

View Full Version : phase 1 & atkins bars

ayeshawalker
10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
how come in phase one it says you can`t eat nuts or chocolate and yet on the chocolate peanut butter bars it says you can eat them in phase 1 ?

foxxtrot_Louise
10-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Go by what the phase-coding on the bars say in order to judge if you can eat them or not. We can eat nuts and seeds once we have been on induction for at least two weeks, anyway. Hershey`s makes a natural unsweetened Cocoa powder if you are interested. Watch carefully when you eat the bars because they cause weight stall in some people because of the sugar alcohols in them. I personally eat them one bite at a time and make one last several days. (The shakes don`t have sugar alcohols). Happy Atkins, Louise

RebeccaLatham
10-22-2010, 07:01 PM
*Colette Heimowitz, Resident Atkins Nutritionist* said this:

Nuts are not allowed in Induction because they are so easy to over eat and the carbs add up quickly, so we ask that you wait two weeks before introducing any nuts until your appetite is under control.

However, the bars have been clinically tested for blood sugar response and the net carbs reflect that amount. The amount of nut exposure is controlled.

ayeshawalker
10-23-2010, 02:00 PM
thank you Louise & Collette, your relies were really apreciated & very helpful.

ayeshawalker
10-23-2010, 02:06 PM
I have been on induction one week now and although not feeling hungry I do feel very shakey as if I`ve just drunk 10 coffees which I haven`t, and I woke early this moring feeling very very nauseous. Is this normal? I am a fish eating vegetrian, so am not at all used to eating ths amount of proteine, my previous diet was almost vegan.

RebeccaLatham
10-24-2010, 12:11 PM
The only way we can give you good advice is if you either a) post your fitday link so we can look, or b) give us an exact list of what you are eating for a particular day, along with the food item, the quantity eaten, and the net carbs for that item, like this:

4 oz. broccoli - 4.6 net carbs
2 eggs - 0.77 net carbs
6 oz. steak - 0 net carbs
1 Tbs. butter - 0 net carbs

If we don`t know these numbers, we can`t know if you are eating right.

What method are you using to track your carbs?

ayeshawalker
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Rebecca, thanks for your post. My original query to you was posted on about day 5 of induction. I`m no on day 8.

Here`s what I am eating

Breakfast: Total net carbs = 4
1 coffee with soymilk - 1 net carb
2-egg omelet, - 1 net carb
2 spring onions - 1 net carb
? avocado - 1 net carb

Lunch: Total net carbs = 8.6
3-4 cups salad veggies (lettuce, celery, tomato, peas, radishes, and 2 spring onions - 4.6 net carbs
2 tbs of an oil & cider vinegar dressing) - 0 net carbs
3-4 oz cheese - 3-4 net carbs

Snack: total net carbs = 1
1oz of cheese or ? Atkins bar - 1 net carb

Dinner: total = 6
4oz fish - 0 net carb
2bls olive oil - 0 net carb
2 cups of broccoli& cauliflower - 6 net carbs

PLUS 8 glasses water & a multi vit

GRAND TOTAL NET CARBS = 19

I feel nicely full but must admit I`m not used to eating so much cheese and fish & I still feel shaky and sometimes nauseous particulry in the morning & I am now on day 8.
I`m also pretty constipated despite taking a gentle Aloe Vera laxative.
what do you think, am I doing this right?

Many thanks
Ayesha

RebeccaLatham
10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
First of all, you do not have to eat cheese at all if you do not want to. There is a limit of 4 oz. of cheese per day, but there is no requirement that you have any. I only eat 1 or 2 oz. of cheese in a week. All the sodium keeps me from losing weight. Plus, 4 oz. of cheese at one sitting is a _lot!_ Is there a reason you are eating so much cheese?

For constipation, I suggest that you do _not_ take a laxative. Each day, in midafternoon, at least two hours after taking meds and/or vitamins, and at least 2 hours before taking med, etc., I take 2 Tbs. of psyllium seed husk in water.

Here is another idea:

200mg of Magnesium right before bed. Helps with regularity and sleep.

If you are using measuring cups to track your veggie carbs, you are probably getting less food than you think you are. I suggest that you start weighing your food on a digital kitchen scale. Everyone that I have suggested this to has come back and said that it turns out that they were not accurate with the cups and got to eat more using a scale.

Is there a chance you would be willing to put at least the food that you listed above onto www.fitday.com and then let me take a look at it?

ayeshawalker
10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
thanks again Rebecca.

The reason for so much cheese is that I didn`t want to skip phase 1 as is sometimes suggested for vegatarians, but I didn`t want to have eggs or fish *again* for lunch so cheese seemed the only protein that wouldn`t tip me over my carb allowance. I know tempeh etc.. are veggie alternatives but they would take me into phase 2 carb wise.

Re constipation - I`ve tried physliun husks for constapation before I even did Atkins and they did not work for me. I will try magnesium as you suggest. Can I ask why no laxative? Does this cause problems?

Re fitday, I don`t know what that is, but I`d be happy to do it.

One last queston - the peanut chocolate atkins bar says on packet only 2 carbs but on ingrediants it says 22 , minus the 10 grams of fibre wouldn`t this mean they are still 12 grams of carbs?

vertigo76
10-25-2010, 04:28 PM
I also noticed that the caramel chocolate peanut nougat bar says it has only 3g net carbs but when you look at the ingrediants it says 19 tc - 11 df is 8 nc? I do not understand?

RebeccaLatham
10-25-2010, 05:20 PM
_Can I ask why no laxative? Does this cause problems?_

Laxatives can be addicting.

The Net Carbs on Atkins products is the only count based on the most advanced clinical testing of glycemic impact. The net carbs reflect the equivalent blood sugar response. You only need to count the net carbs.

If you were to calculate by the subtraction method, you would subtract fiber, sugar alcohols and glycerin. However, Glycerin is not listed in Nutrition facts panel, so after you subtract fiber and sugar alcohols, the remainder is coming from glycerin.

*So, in other words, if it`s Atkins, go by the net carb number on the front of the box, any other food, go by the nutritional label.*

The full explanation is here:

http://community.atkins.com/discussions/viewTopic/p/topicId/3888339/Atkins_Product_Net_Carb_Count.htm?messageBoardId=1 198&order=Recently%20updated&flags=&viewSelect=&forum=All

RebeccaLatham
10-25-2010, 05:21 PM
You can go to www.fitday.com and set up a free account, and put your food in and then you can share your link with us so that we can help you better.