PDA

View Full Version : How many atkins bars/shakes per day?

lisa29
04-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Is there a limit to bars and shakes per day if I am not going over my carb limit? I eat a day break bar for breakfast since I despise eggs and leave for work at 6:30 am. I sometimes then have a bar or shake as an afternoon snack. Is this okay?

Thanks

Willow66227
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
The limit is 2 products per day.

My personal limit is 2 per week.

RebeccaLatham
04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
The bars and shakes are never to be used as a meal replacement.

Atkins is teaching you how to eat real, whole foods. If you are not a breakfast person, you need to learn how to become one in order to be healthy and lose weight.

Besides, you don`t have to eat "breakfast foods" to eat breakfast! Eat anything you want off the approved foods list for Induction. Eat a lunch-type meal for breakfast.

The recommendation is that you eat 6 oz. of protein with each of your three main meals.

budford
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
The limit is 2 per day, but some people cannot tolerate the two. Also, they are not meant to be a meal replacement, but you can add something to it to create a meal. I usually have a shake and a hard boiled egg in the am. I then have veges as a morning snack. You can boil the eggs a couple times a week and this makes it easier in the morning.

amygdala
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
The reason for the two product a day limit is largely because the artificial sweeteners in the products can product laxative effects. This includes gas/bloating. If you overdo it, you can be in quite a pickle.

Note that Advantage bars, Morning bars, and shakes are all Induction approved. Endulge bars are not. These are strictly `treats` and are available once you enter OWL

The other reason for the limit is as Beccaboo points out. This diet largely consists of whole foods, and while these products are (mostly) quite enjoyable (go for the mocha latte even if you don`t like coffee and the dark chocolate shakes, they are both amazing) they aren`t meal replacements/substitutes.

For Induction 12-15 net carbs should come from veggies. That leaves you with 5-8 net carbs to `play` with. You`ve got lots of food options. And avoid rationalizing that as long as you don`t go over your limit, you can sub the products with real food. You`re going to end up cheating yourself and possibly causing yourself gastrointestinal issues to boot.

RebeccaLatham
04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Atkins is teaching me how to eat _real, whole food!_ Every carb you get from a shake or bar is that much _real, whole food_ you will not be eating.

During Induction, you are trying to get as much as 15 net carbs from veggies, and another 5 from non-veggie sources. If you eat a bar or drink a shake, that only leaves you 2 net carbs to use for cheese, eggs, mayo, sour cream, etc. I would rather eat real food than something made in a factory. :0}

Here`s what Colette says:

If someone is limiting intake to 3 packets of alternative sweeteners daily, they can also have one or two max products, as long as they are losing at a comfortable pace.

Some people need to limit products to only one a day or a few a week per week. Some do better with no products at all.

SS11953
04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Ahh thank you BeccaBoo for posting this! I just logged in to post a question regarding the very topic on artificial sweeteners... but you answered the 2nd part of my question about products as well! What a big help you are! Would you be willing to attach the link to where Colette states this information?

Thanks,

Stephanie

RebeccaLatham
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
You`re welcome! And, ooohhh, when I copied it, I forgot to make a note of the link! I`m sorry! I`ve been trying to get better at remembering that!