PDA

View Full Version : Atkins and Coumadin therapy

IrishAirWolf
12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
A word of warning, not something everyone thinks about when they think of an mostly meat/protein/fat diet. If you are on a coumadin or warafin regimen, you need to watch your coumadin levels. The high protein low carb diet affects your albumin serum levels binding effect and cab SERIOUSLY lower your INR. You will need to make up to a 20% increase in the amount you take to balance back out. See your doctor or clinician if you are starting Atkins.

JenniferK
12-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I didn`t find anything (yet) about protein and Coumadin... but there are definitely some Foundation Veggies to avoid if taking Coumadin/Warfarin.

I did find a study that talked about 2 patients who reported they had started a high protein/low-carb diet (Atkins and South Beach were specifically reported)... but there was no information about there actual protein intake and if they were doing the respective diets correctly, so hard to tell. It`s just as possible that the increase of Foundation Veg was to blame here rather than "high protein".

Atkins is not a high protein diet - it is an adequate protein diet... and as with all individuals, the right amount of protein can vary based on many factors.

Jen

Stealth_AKA_Liz53
12-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I agree with Jen, it is more likely the veggies that are affecting INR levels, specifically the vitamin K in leafy green veggies.

But your underlying message is a good one, Wolf: If you have any serious medical conditions, if you are on medication, you should work with your doctor as you begin Atkins. Medications for many diseases - diabetes and high blood pressure are two I can think of offhand - may need to be adjusted as Atkins may quickly and dramatically improve these conditions.