PDA

View Full Version : Medifast vs. Atkins

busdriverjk
11-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi folks. Was wondering if anyone knows if Atkins products can do the same thing as Medifast has done for me? If followed correctly, 5 medifast per day and one healthy meal...I`ve lost 65 lbs since Feb. It`s costly, but, it`s been worth it...but, I want to switch over to something maybe cheaper....what do you guys think?

GretaMonroe1
11-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Atkins is not about meal replacements whatsoever.
So no, you can not use the Atkins products as a substitute for medifast products. Atkins is eat a ton of veggies, enjoy healthy fats, and eat moderate protein.

Atkins DOES work and is a long-term, sustainable way of eating.

There are free lessons on this site under `Learn Atkins`.

If you want to find a real food, lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life plan, then Atkins is for you, but you`ll need to do the lessons to learn everything you need to know to get started.
Good Luck,
Greta

FormerMember
11-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Greta is right. Atkins is about eating real food. While there are products, these are used a limited snacks, and occasional meal replacements, but not meant to be typically used as meal replacements.

Atkins works great. I`ve lost 60 pounds.

I also tried Medi-fast at one point. My disillusionment came when I read the ingredients in the bars and realized that a number of them contained dangerous, man-made trans fats. That was it for me. Atkins absolutely tell you to stay away from these trans fats in any amount (as do all knowledgeable healthcare professionals.)

I`ve also been able to lose weight on Atkins without hunger and while eating food that tastes good because it`s real food. What a freedom!

FormerMember
11-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Medifast may have dropped some weight quickly for you but it isn`t sustainable for life and as you said it is expensive.

As Lab said those meal replacements are not healthy.

Eat real food, follow the plan as written from Induction to maintenace and keep it off for life.

Do some strength and cardio trng along with some good stretching with warmed up muscles.

Stay well hydrated with water.

Start here:
http://www.atkins.com/Program/ProgramOverview.aspx

don_freidkin
11-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Busdriver, what have you learned from the Medifast regimen that will guide your eating in a healthy direction for the rest of your life, beyond which end of a can opener you should use?

This is not some gimmick designed to part your body from its fat temporarily and your bank account from its money permanently.

It`s a self-education system which will guide you through the process of learning which foods your body can handle on a daily basis, which ones it can deal with now and then, and which ones you need to kiss goodbye forever.

As such, it values the numbers on your IQ test more than the numbers on your credit card.

Give it a shot, and let us know what you think in a few weeks.

Welcome to Atkins.

Don

turtlewinks
11-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I did medifast. Lost 30-40 lbs, but as soon as I would start eating real food again, the weight would come back. Really felt like I was starving most of the time. Had mental fogginess and lethargy. Was not good for my overall metabolism either.

I feel so much better on atkins. Never hungry, more energy.

Because you have been on such a restrictive diet already, you may not lose as much as others have in the first few weeks and beyond. Especially if your metabolism has slowed on medifast. Stay in close touch. A lot of people here can help you. Where else can you get the advice of a nutritionist for free too! Colette is great:-)

To perhaps answer your question more specifically, you cannot substitue an atkins bar for a medifast bar....they are not the same. Atkins is a lifestyle, way of eating. Not another diet.

AKADenise
11-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Atkins = low carb

Medifast = high carb

Two opposites. Any diet that restricts either fats or czrbs can help you shed pounds. And, likewise, any diet that help you shed pounds is only as good as it`s long-term sustainability. On Atkins we learn how to eat for life...there is no "over" on Atkins. Once we lose the weight, we can continue eating exactly as we have been. That`s why it continues to work.

If you can continue to eat at the same calorie level and fat level and carb level as you did while losing on Medifast, you will be able to maintain your weigh. If not, you won`t.

Going back to your old eating patterns is a sure-fire recipe for gaining your weight back on any "diet." The key to success is finding something that you can live with for life. We have found it with Atkins.

askwhy456akaLinda
11-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Medifast isn`t high carb.

Actually the packets have about 15-20 carbs for each packet. It is higher carb than Atkins but well below the average diet with about 75-100 carbs from the meal replacements and then what you consume from vegetables in the `lean and green meal`. Medifast is low calorie and higher protein. It is very effective for rapid weight loss if you can choke down what they sell you as `food`. I tried it for two months and lost 33 lbs. I then tried to transition to WW. Over two years I regained 17 lbs of the 33 that I had lost before finally getting it right and starting Atkins.

Medifast does nothing to truly transition you to normal eating. When I figured this out I switched plans. The `maintenance` plan actually encourages you to continue using their products. It is a pure money making endeavor. Even the `counselor` they assign you is fake. Yes, my counselor seemed quite concerned with my weight loss and sent me tons of information... What was she really? She was a salesman who was being paid on commission from the products that I bought through her without any real training on nutrition. OF COURSE she wanted to keep me using their products!

Even WW even though you don`t have to buy their products you are bombarded by them when you walk into a meeting! And of course there is that small weekly fee that you pay to cover their costs... Hmmm 50 people x $12/week... for the meeting that I attended and they held several each week. Yeah it adds up fairly quickly.

From the first time that I began exploring Atkins I realized that they didn`t push their products down your throat or even make you buy the book or pay for a premium site membership in order to be fully successful on the plan. There is more than enough FREE information on this site as well as access to a licensed nutritionalist (not a paid by commission `counselor` with no actual training)
Yes, we should support the program by using their products (if they help us in our weight loss efforts) and you gain so much more insight by reading the book than just learning from this sight but you don`t HAVE to so where does their true motivation lie? I`m siding with my welfare.

AKADenise
11-11-2011, 09:53 AM
askwhy456akaLinda...I consider 15-20 carbs X 5 packets = 75 to 100 carbs plus whatever carbs are in a "healthy meal to be "high carb" for me...and certainly not comparable to Atkins low-carb approach. That`s the point of what I was trying to say.

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I eat 75-100g net a day and don`t consider that high carb but rather a moderate approach and definitely fits in with the Atkins Nutritional Approach.

High carb to me equates to the SAD.

askwhy456akaLinda
11-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I`m sorry you are feeling defensive Denise. I did not intend to offend you just merely point out the actual plan as I have actually tried it. There are so many `ultimates` thrown about on this site that are taken to be `fact` that are not true and I do not want the original poster to be confused.

AKADenise
11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Not defensive at all, nor offended...just accurately assessing the difference in the two plans. Atkins states that anything over about 60 carbs per day kicks you out of ketosis...the whole point to a metabolic advantage...just sayin` for someone who wants to lose weight on Atkins...75 to 100 carbs is high.

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 04:19 PM
At 75-100g net you can still experience ketosis. While I don`t test with the strips I have had a slight ketone taste many a time at that level.

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 04:37 PM
And I jog as well as strength train and fast typically 12-15 hours daily.

AKADenise
11-11-2011, 05:21 PM
As stated, your experience in Maintenance should not necessarily be followed by people trying to lose weight on Atkins. Why are you using your taste as the definitive proof of something contrary to the advice in the book, Rebecca...er,ah...Maggie?

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Aren`t you at 85g net carbs now Denise?

_Rebecca...er,ah...Maggie?_

Guess again. Time`s up.

It`s Lisa

Wrongway
11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Uh uh, it`s WW2 :P

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Hey WW! lol

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Rebecca doesn`t believe in cardio nor would she dream of eating 75-100g net carbs.

Wrongway
11-11-2011, 05:48 PM
I dream of eating that many carbs, does that count? Of cours,e it`s ONLY in my dreams, but still.... ;)

AKADenise
11-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I am eating between 60-85. Impressed with your memory. Doing great maintaining my 88 pound loss. And I wouldn`t recommend that level for anyone hoping to lose. But I highly believe in following the rules, moving through the rungs, finding your CLLL and sticking to one diet for life.

I`m sorry Lisa, I thought you were Maggie :-)

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 05:50 PM
You never know...one day...

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I didn`t recommend anyone eat that many. Just stating a few points as many others do. We got on this because you had pointed out that Medifast was high carb. So I felt the door was open to share my opinion on what is high carb. And I`d rather that individual eat what I eat than follow Medifast which is cr?p in an expensive package. But don`t take that as me saying she should.

I believe in most rules and I also believe in flexibility. Some people have a little wiggle room. One exact written diet isn`t for the entire world. Like the 20g net is just the amount that most people can lose weight at. But if you read Atkins for Life Dr Atkins discussed starting at 60g net and backing down if necessary as well as increasing if you lose.

My site alias was Margie but Maggie is fine too.

Lisa is an alias of my legal name.

AKADenise
11-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Whatever trips your trigger...just for the record I am Denise and the picture is really me,too! I am just a pretty straight shooter...and I think this dialog has really gotten off the op`s original post.

Denise thinks 75-100 carb grams is high to lose weight. LIsa eats 75-100 on maintenance and still tastes ketones more than rarely.

Best advice...read the book and decide for yourself what works for you.

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Best advice read the book and DO what works for you whether that is very low, moderate or high.

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Exercise often increases carb tolerance as also said by Dr Atkins.

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I`ve noticed you seem agrumentative today Denise. Not so good for cortisol.

FormerMember
11-11-2011, 06:13 PM
And perhaps you missed my first post:

_Medifast may have dropped some weight quickly for you but it isn`t sustainable for life and as you said it is expensive.

As Lab said those meal replacements are not healthy.

*Eat real food, follow the plan as written from Induction to maintenace and keep it off for life.*

Do some strength and cardio trng along with some good stretching with warmed up muscles.

Stay well hydrated with water.

Start here:
http://www.atkins.com/Program/ProgramOverview.aspx_

AKADenise
11-11-2011, 06:14 PM
This is insane! Of course, people WILL do whatever works for them, for goodness sakes. I didn`t think I actually needed to point that out.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the banter! I`m out of here to go have some Friday fun with my fam.

AKADenise
11-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Wow,missed your concern, no worries...no visceral fat on this tummy any more!!!