PDA

View Full Version : `George` Clothes from Wal Mart

Judithz
07-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Is it me, or do the George brand of clothes in Walmart fit alot snugger than their size suggests? I now fit comfortably into a size 14 everywhere, even Target (who I think fit small), but a pair of George shorts I bought recently (unfortunately without trying on) fit more like a tight pair of 12`s. I wonder if the labels in the US are in fact UK sizes?

btw - imho, the George clothes in the UK are great, quite why they`re not the same quality in the US, I don`t know. Many look like they`ve been stuffed into a laundry basket and forgotten about for a while before being put on display.

barbiecats2000
07-17-2010, 11:16 AM
I don`t know very much about this line of wear but I have to try everything on because no one seems to know how to size correctly any longer.

I think they started making clothes bigger just to make us feel better so I can`t tell what a true size is anymore.

Barb

Nancy1340
07-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Walmart clothes are not as good as they use to be. For years I bought Ladies Wranglers there. They stopped selling them a few years back. Now the jeans the have are cr*p. The white tee shrits I bought for work were great. Now their such poor quality I cornered the manager one day and told him I could buy better quality ones at Traders Village (A huge out door flea market here in the DFW area). All he could say was "Ouch!".

About the only thing I buy there now, clothes wise, is Just My Size sleeveless tee shirts for the gym.

Tracyb2010
07-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I have noticed that I usually have to buy larger sizes there. The quality is usually so poor though that I only buy something to wear on house cleaning day.

Andrea40
07-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Different companies do things with their sizes. I remember years ago when I worked for Lord & Taylor, that Liz Claiborne clothes were always big for their size. Someone once told me that that company will label the clothes one size smaller than they really are. Guess that`s why I have a whole bunch of her stuff! Christopher & Banks seemed to run spot on, but, I just put on a pair of 12 jeans today, that fit. I can`t get into a 12 anything, so that had to have been mis-tagged. (Felt darn good puttin`on though!!!!)

kittycatwoman53
07-18-2010, 01:33 AM
I`ve always found George brand true to size. Maybe you had something mislabeled. It`s one of my favorite brands until I can fit into my goal size clothes--which hubby has promised a new Nordstrom wardrobe! Yea! Talk about incentive.

Kitty

Nancy1340
07-18-2010, 01:41 AM
Miss Kitty!! Whooohoooo

thersi
07-18-2010, 10:52 AM
I work there and I won`t even buy clothes there unless its marked really really cheap. They don`t last that long anymore.

applemammy
07-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I`ve noticed that too, I can buy a 2x and it`s skin tight and usually I have to wash and dry to get a 2x to fit right, you would think a company would want to make them bigger to make us feel better mentally, like wow I can fit into a large, LOL

amoriha
07-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I`m glad to see this. I get the feeling their sizes are all over the place--in all of their brands. I bought some shorts there in a 10 back in May, and they felt a little tight for a 10. I bought them anyway, figuring that I`m (hopefully) not going to get any bigger--only smaller. I found them tight at first, but within an hour of wearing them, they loosened up a LOT. And they aren`t stretch or anything. But on the other hand, I bought some plain t-shirts in a size medium to get me through the summer, and those almost feel too big. I`m not out of proportion, so I get the feeling that it`s either something in the fabric/workmanship of them or the sizing. Possibly both.

At least they`ll get me through the summer. When I hit goal, I`m going to save money to get a new wardrobe. I feel like I`ve earned it at that point--especially since I now know how to keep the weight OFF. :)

-Amy :)

Slepsog4
07-18-2010, 03:03 PM
It has been my experience with men`s clothes that Eddie Bauer shirts run large. When I was wearing Large in all other brands, I could wear their Medium.

coco66
07-18-2010, 03:27 PM
My husband says the same thing about Eddie Bauer. Maybe thats why he gets a lot of his clothes there!

I find I can wear different sizes from the same brand. I no longer worry about what the number says on the tag. C`mon they are now making size 00! That didn`t exist when I was in my twenties, so did people shrink or did the industry adjust their sizing? I used to be a size 9 back then when I was about 120lbs. Now I`m a 6 at 132. Makes you wonder, right?

Nancy1340
07-18-2010, 03:33 PM
The Eddie Bauer thing makes since. They are basically designed as outdoors men`s clothes. Cut larger for ease of movement.

Gamlock
07-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Applemommy, If you have to buy a 2xl instead of say an xl then walmart can charge $2 extra. I can see the marketing ploy there. I am having trouble finding men`s pants that are short enough for me. you used to be able to buy 28 and 29 inch inseams everywhere, now not so much

rede2looz
07-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Coco, you are right about the sizes. They did change, sometime around the early `80s, I think. I have a size 7 skirt whose waist looks impossibly tiny, and by today`s standards, it`s probably more like a 3 or a 1.

DaveTX
07-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Easy to fix this issue...stay out of Walmart!

AggieTerr
07-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Its not just Walmart. It doesn`t seem to matter where I shop things seem to be getting shoddier. I washed a new top yesterday, followed the directions on the label and it got 2 inches shorter and 3 inches wider.

The other thing I have noticed is the new idea to mix all the sizes together. I was in Fashion Bug yesterday and they had the same style from size 4 to 30 on the same rack -- what a pain! Not to mention the cut didn`t change as the size got bigger -- they just made the whole shirt wider --ridiculous! The blouse barely hit below my waist, and the shoulders were hit 1/2 way down my arm. I am a big girl, but I do have some proportionality and like to be able to accentuate the good stuff.

dunndusted
07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
AggieTerr - I was finding the clothing at Fashion Bug has gone way down hill. One wash and things are falling apart or getting all bally and looking bad. Generally I shop in places that sell designer discounts like Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I can get good quality brand names for a good price. It`s one of those things - "you get what you pay for"...

I do find that Levi jeans run very small for me. I am between a 12 and a 14, more on the 12 side. I bought Levi`s recently in a 16 and they are still snug - I think we have been wearing "vanity" sizes for a long time in the US. My friend shopped in Italy and found herself trying on dresses 2 sizes larger than she normally wears...

ssandi
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I think they should flip the sizes. All those who wear a size 0 now would suddenly be a 14-16. :) And everyone size 12 and over would be like a 2 or 1.

All those 2XL and 3XL would be sized by name-- like Marilyn (as in Monroe) or some other glamorous movie star.

What do you think? I could totally be a fashioner designer. Even if my clothes were hideous, what size 2XL person wouldn`t buy a size Marilyn Monroe??

coco66
07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Ssandi I like that idea! Brilliant. Yes, I`m sure people wouldn`t mind saying they were wearing the Marilyns vs the DOUBLE EXTRA LARGE. That sounds far more glamourous.

Kryztina you are right. The european cuts are much smaller. Even in Canada my size is still larger than when I pick up clothes in the US, but that gap is closing. We are becoming more generous with our sizing too.

Thats why I don`t give a second thought to the number. It`s all smoke and mirrors.

Angelikka
07-19-2010, 01:18 PM
DaveTX: you are so bad!

jim918golf
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Walmart is no longer owned by Walton family. After the old man died the family sold it, and it has gone down hill ever since. They arbitrarily cut items from their stores. I can`t depend on getting what I buy this week when I might want it again. They have stopped their fabric and most of their craft depts.
George clothes don`t fit me now. I buy socks there. Really for groc. I prefer Kroger. Shirts are cheap and do not last.

Andrea40
07-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I noticed they removed alot of grocery items, and their clothes are overpriced based on the quality (or lack thereof). When they first made ours a supercenter, their prices were great, now, everything has gone up. So much, in fact, that the local stores who used to be priced a little higher, actually have better deals than good ole Wallyworld. They fluctuate prices on alot of the essential basic foods, and its kind of a cr@pshoot whether you will pay up the nose or not for various things. They employ alot of people, which is good for our little area, but, its not my number one shopping choice anymore.

Nancy1340
07-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Walmart is a publicly traded company & it`s largest stock holders and many of it`s top executives are Waltons or family member.

Many Walmarts did discontinue the notions department and many have stopped handling weapons but many still have both departments fully stocked.

Ol` Sam is turning over in his grave the way the company is being run and the way the employs are being treated.