PDA

View Full Version : Is Tomato Paste Allowed on Induction?

shalisha42
12-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone - happy holidays! I`m really motivated by my weight loss. I was looking in the carb counter book and couldn`t find anything for tomato paste. I see the carb count for tomatoes.

Is tomato paste allowed on induction? If so, how much?

shalisha42
12-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Also, if maltodextrin is in the first few ingredients, is that okay? Does maltodextrin affect my blood sugar and carb count?

Georgiana
12-25-2010, 09:28 AM
*<<Is tomato paste allowed on induction?>>*

Yes, it`s allowed as long as it has no sugar added. You need to read the list of ingredients to make sure.

*<<If so, how much?>>*

It depends on how many net carbs you can afford to spend on it.

There`s no precise limit.

*<<if maltodextrin is in the first few ingredients, is that okay?>>*

Nope, since maltodextrin is sugar.

shalisha42
12-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Georgiana. So does it matter if it is in the 4th or 5th ingredient? I think I had asked this on the forum before, but can`t find the thread. I try to make sure any added sugar is list after the 4th ingredient - in other words, I try not to get any foods that have sugar in the first 4 ingredients. Is that how you do it? It`s hard to find foods without sugar in the first 4 ingredients. For instance, I love Greypoupon mustard - but wine is in it.

don_freidkin
12-25-2010, 09:41 AM
The USDA lists generic tomato paste at 19.37 net carbs per half-cup or 4.84 per ounce, or 2.42 per tablespoon.

This amound could vary by manufacturer, so check the label. A can of Hunt`s that I dug out of the pantry, for example, shows 4 net carbs per ounce, or 2 per tablespoon, all naturally-occurring sugars.

Hope that helps.

Don

shalisha42
12-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Thank you Don! My favorites are Hunt`s and Contadina. Hope you`re having a Merry Christmas.

Georgiana
12-25-2010, 09:55 AM
*<<So does it matter if it is in the 4th or 5th ingredient?>>*

There are certain foods I would not have if they had sugar as an ingredient, regardless of its position in the list. Such foods are tomato sauce, peanut butter, "sugar-free" Cool Whip, etc. This is because it is very easy to find their sugar-free equivalents.

There are also foods that have sugar further down the list, such as Hidden Valley Ranch Ranch dressing, for example, which I would consider acceptable. I would also count each serving as one serving of sweetener.

*<<For instance, I love Greypoupon mustard - but wine is in it.>>*

And sugar.

I wouldn`t worry about the amount of wine in mustard. The amount of alcohol it adds is so tiny that it should not have any effect on your weight loss.

I wouldn`t worry about the sugar in it either. It`s one of the last ingredients.

I am assuming that you are not eating large quantities of mustard anyway.

*<<I was looking in the carb counter book and couldn`t find anything for tomato paste.>>*

Are you in the US? What are the numbers on the label?

shalisha42
12-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi Georgiana! Thanks for your knowledge. No, I won`t be eating tons of mustard:) I`m in the U.S. Don answered my question about the tomato paste. I also ended up finding it in the carb counter book - I totally missed it. So I have this bacon that I love and can`t seem to find any without sugar - so I eat the one that has sugar in the third ingredient. Now I`m obsessing. But the thing is, I am so sensitive to sugar of any kind, I don`t want to play with fire. Every time I have ANYTHING with sugar whether it be splenda, atkins bars, diet sodas - I BINGE on more sugar and carbs. So my cases of diet soda and snapple that I bought from Costco a few weeks ago are gone! I just don`t want to trigger my body at all. I think I`ll focus on whole meats like oxtails (yumm) and cornish game hen and rotisserie chicken with skin on it.

I used to think - what`s the big deal about sugar being in the ingredients of these foods, but if you`re sensitive to sugar like me and like most food addicts are, it really can cause me to crave more sugar. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sandra50
12-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi shalisha,
You will love the forums, you will learn alot! I know that I sure have.

Georgiana has always come through for me. Just keep reading and learning andyou will succeed.

Georgiana, I finally was able to consume 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water!

What I did was take the amount of water that fits in my water bottle (which is 7.7 fl oz.) and I put a piece of masking tape on it and wrote numbers from 1 to 13 on the tape,which adds up to 100.1 ounces. After I drank an entire bottle full of water, I circled the number on the tape. Before I knew it I was at 13!

I still have not drank a single soda!

I am a visual kinda person and it sure helped as I finished all of the water by 9pm last night.

I also took a copy of the Induction foods list to the supermarket and only bought items from that list. I figure that If I do not buy what I can not have, I am more apt to not be tempted.

I have quickly learned with everyones help, what to do and some of what not to do. failure is not an option for me.

Even though I have not offically started the new way of eating, I did really well Christmas eve. I am still trying things out. 1/1/11 will be here in a few days and that will be the first day!

I am excited to start my new way of life.

The kids surprised me with the eliptical machine that I have wanted for a couple of years now. They know how serious I am about this and they are excited for me.

Thank for all of your help. It is what will help me exceed my goal!

Hope you are having a great day today!
Sandra

shalisha42
12-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Sandra. Thank you for your wonderful post. Yes, there are many amazing people on this forum that are extremely loving and helpful. Your post has now encouraged me to drink half my weight in water! Thanks so much.

startinganew
12-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi - I`m new here, just wondering if I can add crystal light to my water?

shalisha42
12-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi Startingnew! Welcome. Crystal Light, although "sugar free" has maltodextrin in the main ingredient. I would just say no and stick with drinks that have sucralose (splenad) in them and only a total of 3 per day. Each counts as 1 carb. When in doubt, I`m learning to do without.

Sandra50
12-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi, This is just a suggestion, Go back to "all forum" and at the top of the page, look to where you post a new question. Post your question there which starts a new thread. Everyone will see it and all chime in with the info that you are looking for. I will follow up as I am curious as well.
Sandra

shalisha42
12-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Great advice Sandra!

Georgiana
12-25-2010, 11:58 AM
<<just wondering if I can add crystal light to my water?>>

If you add CL to water, it won`t be water anymore, and each serving (8 oz) would count as one serving of sweetener.

Pre-Atkins, you were probably used to drinking sweet drinks instead of drinking water. That`s a bad habit. My advice would to break it, and stick to water for your minimum 64 oz of fluid.