PDA

View Full Version : Can I "fail" a drug test because I drink too much water?

urpalval88
08-19-2010, 06:33 PM
I just found out I have to take a drug test tomorrow morning, I dont do drugs, and since I have never had to take a urine drug test before I researched it online. I read EVERYWHERE that people try to drink crazy amounts of water and turn thier pee clear cause it dilutes drugs and you can maybe pass, but now labs are smarter, and if your pee is clear and they cant read anything in it, they don`t FAIL you, they basically say "couldnt obtain any results" which in turn tells your employer you tried to fake your drug test, and you wont get hired!

I heard drinking water till your pee was clear was a good thing. I have been doing it for a while and am a water addict. i found out about the drug test after already having had 6 (32 oz) water bottles today... im going to try to drink nothing untill tomorrow, and then just drink enough to pee for the test... Can I like challenge it if I do "fail" i ALWAYS drink tons of water, im not trying to "Get away" with anthing! and i REALLY want this job

-urpalval

ShelleyDawn
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Deep breath please.
Just tell the truth. You`ve already had experience with doing this on the forum, so just mention that you are and need to drink a lot of water in order to eat a low carb way.
I believe you Urpalval,and I can`t even hear the sincere tone in your voice.

bambipei
08-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Take a b complex in the morning... you`ll be yellow then! ;)

Seriously though, I don`t know the answer about water.

Inquiet
08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I`ll admit I know nothing about this issue. I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day, usually more, plus iced tea, coffee, and broth.

On the morning I had to give a blood and urine sample for my annual physical I drank plenty of water because that makes it easier to give the blood sample. My urine specimen was not anywhere near colorless.

I`m guessing it would take a lot more water than we drink to dilute the sample enough to make it untestable.

Hope some lab person can give you a better answer.

Smith

slimndown
08-19-2010, 06:54 PM
This website for parents who want to drug test their teens might help. They have a FAQ that covers this topic. http://www.drugtestyourteen.com/faq

sarahhelen
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Having done urine tests monitering known addicts (this is for the health service in the UK) we do reject samples if the creatinine is too low,ie the sample is too dilute as addicits are known for doctoring samples, adding water,lemon juice etc, however i don`t know protocol for random testing in the US, I agree with Shellydawn, explain when you take the test.Hope this is useful and good luck!

debobonn
08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
urpalval88:
The answer to your questions is yes, too much water can effect your drug test.
And as sarahhelen said, it effects your creatinin level.

Most tests now do have a section that marks the creatinin level. There is an acceptable level which I forget, and one that is not.

It is sometimes marked that they could not get any results, or sometimes it is just shown in teh creatinin level.

What I would suggest to you, is that you inform the testing facility of this, however, they are really not the people who you need to talk to because they do not make any decisions about the results of the test obviously. However the fact that you disclosed it to them it good.
A blood sample will not be effected by the water. Aske them if they do blood samples, and even if you have to pay extra, ask them to do that test.

Then if your employer is tempted to reject you because they are not able to get a read, you have the blood test taken within minutes of the urin screen to show to them.

Most places can tell you on the spot if the they were able to get results.

go to your doctor, go to a hospital or get the testing facility to do a blood test. It is much more accurate, and it would supercede and be more meaningful than the urine test.

You may also want to talk to the appropriate person at your prospective employer to ask if they would accept a blood test instead, explaining why you would prefer that.

That in itself may be enough for them to know that you are not doing drugs. Simply being willing to submit to blood work, may convince them that you would not be trying to alter anything while at the same time volunteering for a blood test.

good luck!

urpalval88
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Im def. going to go in and tell them that! also I am going to look into a blood test I just want to make sure!

kittycatwoman53
08-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Just don`t drink a lot after you get up in the morning until after the test. You`ll do fine. I had to do drug screens at every 3 month assignment I had over a seven year period as a travel nurse. You`ll do fine.

Blessed Be.

Kitty

debobonn
08-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Good idea. One thing you want to make sure of is that if you end up having to do both the urine and blood test, that you do the urine screen first and the blood work right away after it.

That`s why it would really be best if you just asked if they would accept a blood test instead of the urine screen.

AGain good luck.

Look forward to celebrating your new job!

Maggie2010
08-19-2010, 07:48 PM
If you do not do drugs, there is no problem. The drug screen
is positive or negative for drugs, diluting the test medium
would not be an issue....unless , of course, it was alcohol.
I hear stress in your note and I think you should take a deep
breath, do something relaxing tonight, and get a good night`s
sleep. If you do not do drugs, then there is no issue to worry
about.

kittycatwoman53
08-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Then urine test tests for up to a month back of heavy cannabis use and for several days back of other drugs, depending on their half-life. The blood test is less conclusive of drug use except within the last 6 to 24 hours. Thats hwy most of them prefer urine.

If you don`t drink more than a glass or two after you get up, there will be no problem. Trust me. I`m a nurse.:)

Kitty

4x5n
08-19-2010, 08:06 PM
I`ve also had to take and pass drug tests for employment over the last few years. On average I drink better then a gallon of water a day and have never had a problem with drug tests.

celticgladiator
08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
your morning urine should be a little more concentrated as well so you should be ok.

KZZBL
08-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Perfect topic for me! I used to a Federal Drug and Alcohol Collection Tech ... basically I collected urine. lol Not the greatest job but it paid well! Anyway, you would have to drink approximately 2-3 bottles of water in less than 20-30 minutes before the test is administered before it would be considered "diluted". Take it from me, if your employer knows you well and if you are honest about your water intake, then no worries. Worse case scenario is that you`d have to retake the test again at a later time.
However, to those of you reading and drinking large amounts of water ... be careful how much you are drinking at once! There is a condition which is called "Water Intox". Too many fluids at once in a short amount of time can cause you to feel as though your intoxicated. Yes, I know it sounds rediculous, but take it from someone who has worked in the medical profession for a long time. It does happen. Large amounts of fluids in a short amount of time can cause your body to throw off your electrolytes and that`s what causes the "intoxicated" feeling.
Oh! One more thing ... yes, certain vitamins can make your urine yellow. HOWEVER, if the collector of the urine has been in the business long enough, they will be able to tell. (one of the many things I learned!) An experienced collector will know many tricks of the trade. lol

debobonn
08-21-2010, 02:03 PM
So how did it go?

?Ali100?
08-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Crikey what kind of job asks for Drug tests!!!
I don`t think we have that kind of thing over here in the Uk. I`ve only ever heard of it for admission to the Forces.
Best wishes
Ali

kapple01
08-21-2010, 08:58 PM
I hope you didn`t eat anything with poppy seeds prior to the test. Those little buggers will ring some bells !

kittycatwoman53
08-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Almost all jobs ask for drug tests these days. Fast food doesn`t, but many factory jobs, any jobs where you opererate equipment, hospital jobs... It`s amazing.

Blessed Be.

Kitty

urpalval88
08-21-2010, 11:58 PM
well its a job to work at a pharmacy during flu shot season... I was going to take it monday and because of a very long very frustrating story that didnt happen, so i have to go first thing monday morning i will let you know but im kind of relaxing on the CRAZY water intake to something more normal :)

?Ali100?
08-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Good luck with the test.
Best wishes
Ali

urpalval88
08-30-2010, 11:20 PM
i passed, and got the job!

4x5n
08-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Great news!!! Congrats!!!!

Dave'sMom
08-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Congratulations Val..

moi_self26
08-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Woohoo!!!!! Congratulations Val!

kittycatwoman53
08-31-2010, 02:42 AM
Congratulations!

Kitty

don_freidkin
08-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Yay!

I say to you, "YAY!"

Don

urpalval88
09-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Today was my first day and it went great. It was a slow day, but that helped me ease into everything. I feel very at home, the work is not difficult and the pay is great. The only thing I don`t like so far, is that it is a seasonal job, done by december, but I will try to enjoy my time there.