PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Bars , Addiction and weight gain???

dresdenn
03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I bought these bars last week. I did buy the ones for induction. But now I feel like I want one every day!! Always around the same time...then for the first time today I had a slight gain...could this be from the bars? I do get in all my daily carbs for the day and 12 to 15 are from veggies.. I follow the program ot the T...

RebeccaLatham
03-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Here are my thoughts on the bars and shakes, for what they are worth:

Atkins is teaching me how to eat _real, whole food!_ Every carb I get from a shake or bar is that much _real, whole food_ I will not be eating.

During Induction, you are trying to get as much as 15 net carbs from veggies, and another 5 from non-veggie sources. If you eat a bar or drink a shake, that only leaves you 2 net carbs to use for cheese, eggs, mayo, sour cream, etc. I would rather eat real food than something made in a factory. :0}

*If anyone is curious to know about my personal experience with the Atkins bars, read this post:*

http://community.atkins.com/discussions/viewTopic/p/topicId/3197820/My_Atkins_Bar_Experiment.htm?messageBoardId=1198&webPageId=1000700&order=Recently%20Updated,Most%20Active&flags=&posterId=9052090&viewSelect=Participated&forum=All

RebeccaLatham
03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
They cause cravings for me. Everyone is different. And now the authors of the new book are saying that it is possible that the sugar alcohols will react badly in some people and stall weight loss.

dresdenn
03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Rebecca thank you so much. I think they are causing cravings for me. The one I got is really really good and now I want it all the time..

CeltoSaxon
03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
What Rebecca said.

Especially about the sugar alcohols! NASTY little things they are.

It really truly is best (although can be VERY hard) to wait until you have finished the first two weeks before attempting to add anything like a bar. As Rebecca said, they can create cravings. Once you have been on the plan for a while give one a try to see how you react. Something that really helped me is to journal about how I felt that day and what I ate. You can track allergies and "trigger foods" that way quite easily.

The first week is the hardest to break the addictions, but once you do, it is so freeing!! If you MUST have something sweet, try the sugar free jello with fresh whipped cream. Another is Hansens makes a sugar free soda sweetened with Splenda. I take the root beer flavor and add a tablespoon heavy cream and a 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Stir that together and it tastes just like a root beer float!!

Also, if you get the newest book there are recipes and tips for making through all those nasty induction cravings.

Cleo's2
03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I am pretty new to Atkins (1 week on plan, 8 1/2 lbs lost), so this is just my thought ...

The bars have been really helpful for me so far. I just can`t seem to get used to eggs for breakfast (plus time is a factor for me in the mornings), so I really needed a portable, quick alternative for the mornings. I eat one in the morning and, so far, it has worked well for me. As I get further along, I may have to give it up if my weight loss stalls, but for now it is helping me stay on the plan, so I think the carbs are well worth it.

Everyone is different, though. Good luck - I`m sure you will be successful!

dresdenn
03-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Brenda..I`m going out this weekend and getting the book. Also I did give up pepsi cold turkey..I feel really good doing that!!! I`ll try the bars later. `

Cleo`s2 - OMG I live for eggs, bacon and some sausage for breakfast everyday!!! LOL

Bigmel
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I loved the bars and shakes too but as soon as I started eating/drinking one a day I stopped losingso I had to stop the bars . Good luck!

RebeccaLatham
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
_I eat one in the morning and, so far, it has worked well for me._

The only problem with that is that the bars are not designed to be meal replacements, only snacks. There is not enough nutrition or calories (fat, protein, carbs) in a bar to make it a healthy breakfast.

CeltoSaxon
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Good for you on the pepsi!!
The first time I did Atkins (over 10 years ago), I quite sugar and caffiene all at once. All I ever had was one Coke per day in the mornings. After that all I drank was water. The withdrawal from that ONE Coke made me feel like I wanted to seriously hurt someone. My skin felt as if it was crawling! I will never forget that feeling!! Since then I am careful about what addictions I try to break all at once. :)

Cleo`s2, have you tried the MIM? It stands for Muffin in a Minute and is available under recipes. What I like to do is make up several at a time and put them in bags so I can grab and go when I`m in a hurry. I get the individual packets of cream cheese (I get them at Sam`s) and grab one of those to have along with. There are lots of variations you can do to the MIM to make it sweet or savory and the flax meal is available at most retailers in the baking section. I like to put maple extract and leave out the cinnamon. Slice in half, place a piece of sharp cheddar and top with egg, bacon or sausage. Tada! Low Carb McGriddle!!! :)

judyblueeyes
03-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I don`t eat the bars or drink the shakes either. With the low# of carbs we eat after getting all our veggies, I would also prefer to use those for whole foods..... Plus I am still not convinced that they are only 2 or three carbs... Just my opinion... I think they would (for me) create cravings for sweets like candy bars and cookies..

Cleo's2
03-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I haven`t tried the MIMs,yet. The recipe was posted in another thread, but then I noticed that some people said it stalled their weight loss, so I was reluctant to try it. I`ll try to get the flax meal tonite and try them.

I guess the Atkins bar is not the best nutrition for breakfast, but I assure you - it is waaaaaaaaaay better than what I used to eat pre-Atkins :)

Sigh ... baby steps, baby steps. I will get better at this as I go along.

Thanks to all on these forums - I am learning so much and getting great ideas all the time.

CeltoSaxon
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
_but then I noticed that some people said it stalled their weight loss_

Some people say the bars stall their weight loss as well. I don`t find it to be a issue, so the best thing is to try it for your self. Drink extra water with the MIM`s though, because they are almost pure fiber!

BethAnn1
03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
If a MIM stalls you, you`re in trouble. There isn`t anything in the basic recipe that you can`t have during induction. It has a lot of fiber that can cause a problem if you`re not drinking enough water, but that`s not a stall.
As for the bars, I don`t have more than one a day and I count it as one "sweetener". For a snack, there is a lot of nutrition there. I guess the alcohols don`t bother me.

capecod
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Love the taste of the bars and shakes- but they definatley stall my loss and cause cravings...sigh..

Mims- these also seem to stall me.

mountain_mama
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
I limit my bars to one a week as a reward or if we`re going out to a function where there will be dessert offered. I pull it out an nibble away contentedly.

I found that I wanted them too much when I allowed myself one a day and with my need to be very low on carbs I just can`t spare them on them.

If you can get by without them, good! That`s really the best, but if they are the difference between your being able to do Atkins for life or not they will serve a good purpose. Also, you might "need" them now and not later on as your tastes change.