PDA

View Full Version : No bowel movements!!

lizardlips
03-11-2010, 03:32 PM
I have been in the induction phase for 16 days and only had one tiny bowel movement within that time. Am I going to explode??? WHERE is it going? I don`t feel bloated or crampy. What can I do to GO?!

mutecht
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
personally if I had only one bm in 16 days I would go to see my doctor asap!!! no kidding it could be an obstruction!

Canadiangirl
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Do you take anything for fiber?? There is a good recipe for MIM`s (muffin in a minute) and it has about 7-8g fiber in one muffin. Another good one is pysillium husk and you mix a TBS into a glass of warm water and drink ti really fast then chase it down with another glass of water. Try to pick veggies that are higher in fiber like cauliflower or spinach. Did I mention LOTS and LOTS of water!!!!!!

Here is a recipe for MIM: There are alot of vairations for the MIN so just search for it in the search field.

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2teaspoon Baking soda
1 teaspoon splenda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1 teaspoon butter
mix together micro for one min.
i put mine in a bowl or you can use a coffee mug

I am not a big fan of them like that so I do mine in the oven, recipe provided by Bigdumbear:

1 1/2 Cup flax meal
1/4 T baking powder
3 large eggs
2-2 1/2 T oil or butter
1 t salt
water to thin if needed.
liquid sucralose, stevia, packaged splenda (will add 1 NC per package used..generally 6 packs for this recipe)
I use liquid sucralose/stevia mix, find about 30 drops from a dropper about right.

Mix dry ingredients first, add everything else. Divide into 6 equal portions into a greased or pam spayed muffin tin. Bake at 320 for 30 min..toast top with your favorite and enjoy..net carb count is .4..bdb

Good Luck...
P.S LOTS OF WATER! I need around 130-160oz a day to stay regular.

melody-uk
03-11-2010, 03:44 PM
yeah doesn`t sound very good at all.
i know for constipation you should increase fat content of diet (butter/olive oil), more water and more fibre.
definitely consider speaking to a professional about it?
good luck

Reba32
03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I`d take a laxative for now to get rid of what`s in there, and then going forward on a daily basis make sure you`re getting enough fibre and water.

If you try the MIM recipe above, make sure you drink at least 1 litre/32 oz of water with it. Fibre doesn`t work without water.

A daily magnesium supplement may also help.

capecod
03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I had to take a laxative in the beginning- not fun by the way. Think it was called Ducolax or something similiar. But you need to make sure your having plenty of fiber, are you taking your fish oil (this really helped me) and LOTS of water. Do you drink coffee? Try a tablespoon of coconut oil in your coffee.
Be happy-at least you know your going to lose weight soon LOL:)

mutecht
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I cant believe you people not telling this person not to go to the doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 small m in 16 days!!!! come on!!!!!!!!

Donkey
03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Nows not the time for fiber. You should eithor go see your Dr. or take a laxative. I recommend taking liquid Calcium/magnesium. It works within 2-3 hrs., depending upon how plugged up you are.
1/4c. was all it took for my son.

Don`t wait any longer, this is a serious situation.

cmeredith
03-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Lots of people come here complaining of constipation. Much of the time, once we`ve taken a look at their menu, we are able to help them realize that they aren`t eating the full requirement of veggies.

So, are you?

Induction is 20 NET carbs per day, not less, with 12-15 of them coming from veggies. Eating less will definitely make you constipated as well as keep you from losing weight.

Total Carbs - Fiber = NET carbs
1 cup of romaine lettuce is only *.4 NET carbs*

mrich2272
03-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Try apple cider vinegar. Mix 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar with 8 oz of water and drink!

ferg17177
03-12-2010, 12:08 AM
TAKE A LAXATIVE ASAP!! If a laxative doesn`t help, then you need to go to the doctor pronto. It`s not normal at all to only have one bowel movement in 16 days. You need to have one or two everyday or at least every other day. The laxative is going to hurt like crazy, but you need to get that stuff out of you. You could get really sick with all that junk stuck in you.

Reba32
03-12-2010, 05:19 AM
not long ago I was constipated for a month, happens to me fairly often because of Celiac disease. A doctor isn`t going to do much for you at this point other than tell you to eat more fibre, give you a prescription for laxative and tell you to come back in a few days if it doesn`t correct it. And they`ll charge ya $40 for the visit and $40 for the prescription. More if you don`t have insurance. :-p

Go to the pharmacy and get some Dulcolax for $4, take 2 before bed and by morning everything should be moving again. If not, then call your doctor.

It is not uncommon for the early weeks of this diet to cause constipation. Even says so in the book, and has suggestions of how to prevent it.

Fat-ivore
03-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I am also experiencing the same symptom: not really constipated but minimal - almost like my bowels have simply stopped working. No discomfort or bloating. Just stopped. I`m going to start taking Metamucil (fiber).

jenrhone
03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
I have been sprinkling Benefiber on my food and it seems to work. Just a thought!!

tinkyluvsron
03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I drink benefiber in my first bottle of water in the morning and another before bedtime. It has no sugars added. Always look at fiber labels. Some have added sugars. I find that the benefiber works best for me. It is tasteless and dissolves in any liquid hot or cold. Good luck.

dunndusted
03-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Please see a doctor if this is something that has never been an issue for you before. It could be very serious. I had a relative almost die from an obstruction that eventually became a perforated bowel. Just to rule out that it`s not something serious, make an appointment as SOON as possible. PLEASE.

gatorfann12-Jenny
03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
For continue good bowel movements take a Fish Oil Capsules 3 x a day with meals and a stool softner if you ar eating a lot of protein is always a good idea before bedtime.

kris10ellen
03-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Miralax works like a charm! My medication makes me constipated, I use Miralax often.

loesshillsgirl
01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Help!I have an embarassing question!I started Atkins about 6 weeks ago.Before that,I had very healthy bowel movements.Now,If and/or when I go,the stool is thin and squiggly.I always feel that I`m not fully evacuating everything,but I don`t want to strain too hard.I eat plenty of veggies and drink plenty of water.I eat 1/8 teaspoon of flax seed every day.I`m really starting to get worried!Is this normal?

Faith75
01-23-2011, 05:08 PM
If you are getting really worried go to your doctor !

Melanie322
01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
1. FIRST you see your doctor
2. Once there, you talk with her or him about immediate and then longer-term, daily management and remedies: increasing fiber, water, possibly stool softeners, psyllium seed husk, magnesium supplements - but first you SEE the doctor.

cindacinny
01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes. You should see your doctor. I don`t have a bm everyday but that`s normal for me. Do you have pain? If you have pain then you should probably go to the ER. If not, then take a laxative tonight. You should probably take some psyllium husk with water on a regular basis. I took it one time but it didn`t work for like, a day or two.

cin

shenshaw
01-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I agree with everyone else...GO SEE A DOCTOR IF YOU HAVEN`T HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT BUT ONCE IN 16 DAYS!!!! In the future, I have had great success with taking magnesium supplements. If one doesn`t do the trick, I take 2.

jennyakers
01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
There are Teas you can make that will help in 4-6 hours. One is "Smooth Move" haha but it works well The other is "Get Regular" they are in our Krogers around here in the tea section or of they have a health food section it will probably be there. May have to use it now and then until you are used to Atkins.