PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the carb count of PHO soup?

soloking
12-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Does anyone know what the carb count of just the broth is? Seems like a bowl would be a great atkins meal without the noodles.

Stacy15108
12-15-2010, 09:12 AM
I don`t even know what PHO soup is?????????

Inquiet
12-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Soups are combinations of ingredients which vary depending upon the cook. It is difficult to estimate nutrient counts for soups prepared by others.

soloking
12-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Yes, but don`t most PHO broths use the same ingredients in them?

Buttoni
12-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Solo, can you please tell us what the heck PHO soup is? I`d like to know, too. Been cooking over 40 years and never heard of it!

Inquiet
12-15-2010, 10:19 AM
You`re thinking of eating just the broth? I think it has the same problem that many commercial canned chicken broths have. Sugar is one of the ingredients.

Having never made this delightful Vietnamese soup I checked online for a recipe. This one does have sugar in it. Whether this is a standard recipe or not, I can`t say.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vietnamese-Pho-Rice-Noodle-Soup-with-Beef-232434

If you`re thinking of eating it at a shop you might try asking about sugar in the broth.

:)
Smith

soloking
12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Have you ladies ever seen places like Pho 68 or Pho 21.

Pho is Vietnamese soup! It`s great!

Ph? is served in a bowl with a specific cut of white rice noodles in clear beef broth, with slim cuts of beef (steak, fatty flank, lean flank, brisket).

The broth is generally made by simmering beef (and sometimes chicken) bones, oxtails, flank steak, charred onion, and spices, taking several hours to prepare. Seasonings can include Saigon cinnamon or other kinds of cinnamon as alternatives (may use stick or powder), star anise, roasted ginger, roasted onion, black cardamom, coriander seed, fennel seed, and clove.

Vietnamese dishes are meals typically served with lots of greens, herbs, vegetables, and various other accompaniments such as dipping sauces, hot and spicy pastes, and flavor enhancements, such as a squeeze of lime or lemon. The dish is garnished with ingredients such as green onions, white onions, coriander, Thai basil, fresh Thai chili peppers, lemon or lime wedges, bean sprouts, and coriander or cilantro.

Buttoni
12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks so much for the reply. Now that you describe it, I believe I`ve seen this soup mentioned and pictured in cookbooks before, but didn`t learn/remember the name of it. It always looks so good, too. I love clear broth soups a bunch! I have all those spice ingredients on hand and may try making this myself sometime! Thanks again for widening my cooking horizons!

soloking
12-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Buttoni, I`ve heard it`s very hard to make. But I would highly recommend going out and having a bowl!

FormerMember
12-15-2010, 01:09 PM
It`s got to be LOTS because I had some last night, asked them to leave out the noodles, and I gained a whopping FOUR POUNDS.

Stay away from it. Stay FAR away from it.

tiare
12-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Was it a high salt soup Biggie?

ANL_amber
12-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Biggie, pho has a LOT OF MSG.

You can buy the pho paste ready made in a jar from your local Asian market. Just add water. The kind I use is safe and only a couple carbs. Jar is at home so I don`t know the brand but when I get home I`ll look. I make Vietnamese meatballs and throw them in.

ANL_amber
12-15-2010, 01:27 PM
http://importfood.com/cpnr0855.html

:-)

Stacy15108
12-16-2010, 08:41 AM
This is really interesting. I went to the site with the recipe and it does look little complicated. I am going to try and buy at Giant Eagle --they have sections for different food types. Will let you know.